360 LA using 904 Tranny

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Hey everyone
Happy new year
I m just getting ready to install a 360 into my 72 Demon, the car had a 318 904
I want to use the 904
But what about the torgue converter and the flex plate what should I use, I heard if you buy a B&M flex plate you can use the 318 converter is this true
PLease any help would be fantastic
I also was wondering about the motor mounts

you are correct on the flexplate - either buy the B&M or have your current flexplate balanced. Motor mounts will need spacers (I've used the right thickness of nut) or buy 360 mounts.

Ya that's the right number...but $112.95? Is that with shipping? There are lots of pics and instructions on how to weld the correct weight onto the 318 converter.

I used the B&M 10239 on my 360/904 combo

Since you are there, maybe a little high stall converter?

Also you can pickup the motor mounts from Mancini - 318 to 360 upgrade - they are worth it

360 engine: 904 converter from the factory has two weights. Both the same, measure 1.62" x .75" x .380 ", and there is also another that has a single weight.
Converter rebuilders have a converter balancer for a reason. Have you checked out getting a rebuilt 360 converter? It may be cheaper than the B & M flex plate and will be balanced properly. Just a thought.
Do it RIGHT once.

Ya, I don't like a used 904 converter anyways. They love to crack cuz the wall gets thin down about half an inch below the slots. I guess that's why they went the ford route with two flats instead; on such a small converter.

Only left side engine mount will need a spacer and 1 longer bolt. Pic shown is a spool mount, but concept is the same. If using a non counterweight type torque converter, you will need to use a 360 flex plate for an externally balanced 360 if your engine is externally balanced. Most 360s are that way.

Screenshot_2015-07-26-18-34-48.jpg

I did the same swap about 10 years ago and purchased a hi stall TC from Pat Blais (torqueflite Patty) on ebang. No need to change out the flex plate. I only see a 62-67 currently listed but you can give him a call. He is a stand up guy and the price was reasonable. No issues.

Torqueflite 904 1962-67 Rebuilt High-Stall 10-3/4" Converter - 1.55" CRANK PILOT | eBay

View attachment 1715456275
He needs the larger crank pilot size, 1.810", not the earlier small one. He hasn't said if he is wanting a high stall yet. From the factory, the 360 had two stalls, a low stall at around 1900-2000 stall and a higher stall one that could stall about 2200-2300. No mention as to what if any engine performance mods have been done.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the part numbers for the motor mounts the Mancini web site does not show them
The B&M plate is the way im thinking of going since I have a new converter

-
Back