360 noise????timming issue?

-

68gtx

Reaction score
I resealed the 360 in my new project, runs well but has developed a noise, sounds like a noisey p/s pump, tonight I removed p/s belt , noise is still there, figured it has to be alt, removed that belt and noise is still there.really bumbed now, listend with a stethoscope, too hard to pinpoint, seems to be loudest at p/s pump bracket, maybe behind water pump, could the harmonic balancer be making noise? I do have another issue, while timimng the motor, trying to set full advance timing at 36 degrees as eninge rpms increased timimg did not, this is with vacumm advance unhooked, what could be the cusae of this? stuck weights?is there any reason the previous owner would have fixed them at a steady position?

any opions or ideas welcome,

Timing chain is bad . Probably not getting oil due to the upper passenger side bolt not having a oil hole. This bolt must have a hole . Sometimes the bolt is not used with a dripper for oiling. Chain came loose from lack of oil and is rubbing the cover.

Timing chain is bad . Probably not getting oil due to the upper passenger side bolt not having a oil hole. This bolt must have a hole . Sometimes the bolt is not used with a dripper for oiling. Chain came loose from lack of oil and is rubbing the cover.

now I did notice an oil defelctor that looks like it was home made to route drainback oil to the chain, but the chain looked good, looks like I have to go in and have a look again.. :mumum:, should I just order this bolt with a hole and use it instead?

Have you got all the right length bolts in their correct place? Sometimes too long a bolt(like the ones on the fuel pump) interferes with the timing chain.

Have you got all the right length bolts in their correct place? Sometimes too long a bolt(like the ones on the fuel pump) interferes with the timing chain.

yes , guy that had this engine ran it for 4 years the way it is, all I did was regasket it, never pulled cam or those bolts, just wonder why it is , that there is a noise now?should I seek out a bolt that has the hole in it and run that instead of the slinger?

Correct bolt AND slinger is what the factory sent out.

were all 360's like this? anyone have a picture of what should be there?this 360 is a 91 roller block, prob shoulda mentioned that earlier,, any chance the noise is from a bad roller on a lifter?

-
Back