360 oil pan swap.

-

CG65Dart270

Reaction score
I'm replacing the oil pan on my 360 to fit in my dart. its has the rear pump truck oil pan on it now and i have the new center style oil pan to swap it out with. other than a new pick up do i need to replace the oil pump as well? will i run into any issues or should it be a simple swap?

If you don't know when the last time you changed the oil pump, then yes; it's cheap insurance. Make sure the pan rail is flat, and everything is clean. It's straight forward, I like to use #2 sealant on the cork/rubber transitions and to fill any gaps. Don't over torque the bolts; they will need tightening after a heat cycle or two.

Depending how many miles are on the current pump, this would be the time to replace it if need be.

according to who i got the motor from (he's a reliable friend and mechanic) it only has 64,*** miles on it. so im guessing its never been replaced.
Thanks

It wouldn't hurt to replace the pump.

x2 on don't torque oil pan bolts. Just snug until you see the gasket start to compress, then stop.

If this is an early (63-66) A body you want the 392 pan for a 360 swap. it has a specific pickup (top or middle I forget which). If it is a later A body I ain't into them so no info as to whether or not either "center sump" pan will fit on them . on both the sump is ~8" long & the sump starts from a vertical plumb line down from the front lip ~2" on the 876 and 4" on the 392 (which is why you need the 392 for the extra 2" clearance to Kmember rear lip)

Attachments

• oil pans 002.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 146
  • oil pans 001.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 187
Thanks Robert, i have a 65 dart so its an early A. i have the right pan, but i didn't know about the specific pick up. you just saved me a big pain in the a$$ lol. do you have anymore info on that pick up?

The picture in the middle is the one that I see usually on the later stuff. I've not taken apart a pre 66 engine.....

Many 67 and after.....

You can buy that pick up brand new at NAPA for under $20

-
Back