360 pairing with a 3 speed help...

-

73-Duster

Reaction score
Hopefully you guys can give me some needed guidance as I am preparing to FINALLY get my 360 back together and in my car. It is a 360 out of a 76 D300, I am going to put in a mild cam, headers, and hopefully some other bolt ons after my bank account recovers from the shock... So basically it is a slightly better than stock 360 that I am putting in my 73 duster. It is origionaly a slant 6 3 on the floor car. I am not sure what the best/easist way to mate the two will be. I know I will need a small block bellhousing, will the one on the donor truck work? idk if they are the same from car to truck, also because I am converting it from externally balanced to internal I should need a nuetral ballance flywheel... Right?? My best guess is to find an older 340 flywheel. as far as the clutch goes will I be able to use the one in the 3 speed? Hopefully I gave you all the info you need to help me out, I really apreciate any help you can offer or any concerns you have about it, Thanks - 73-Duster

Are you REALLY converting from external to internal balance?

Unless you're having the engine re balanced:

You need a car bell housing and 130 externally balanced flywheel for a 360 (NOT 5.9).

Hopefully you guys can give me some needed guidance as I am preparing to FINALLY get my 360 back together and in my car. It is a 360 out of a 76 D300, I am going to put in a mild cam, headers, and hopefully some other bolt ons after my bank account recovers from the shock... So basically it is a slightly better than stock 360 that I am putting in my 73 duster. It is origionaly a slant 6 3 on the floor car. I am not sure what the best/easist way to mate the two will be. I know I will need a small block bellhousing, will the one on the donor truck work? idk if they are the same from car to truck, also because I am converting it from externally balanced to internal I should need a nuetral ballance flywheel... Right?? My best guess is to find an older 340 flywheel. as far as the clutch goes will I be able to use the one in the 3 speed? Hopefully I gave you all the info you need to help me out, I really apreciate any help you can offer or any concerns you have about it, Thanks - 73-Duster

As jos said, are you going to spend the money to go internal balance? I'm all for it, but in a case like yours, there is zero reason to do all that work.

Are you REALLY converting from external to internal balance?

Unless you're having the engine re balanced:

You need a car bell housing and 130 externally balanced flywheel for a 360 (NOT 5.9).

As jos said, are you going to spend the money to go internal balance? I'm all for it, but in a case like yours, there is zero reason to do all that work.

Well originally I was thinking it would make it easier to pair with the transmission. Also I figured it'll be better in the long run for when I do build up the engine a little more. Not 100 percent sure why it is better but everything I've read usually says it is. I still need to check with the machine shop on cost, but when I mentioned it earlier he said they could do it fairly cheap

Pffft. "better" is a relative term, and you'll be relatively far ahead to

Buy stock 360 ' wheel
Add bell housing

Stir together in engine bay and cook at 257 degF or until tires start to melt.

If you don't know why it's "better", it's "better" that you leave your wallet in your pocket on the issue.

In a pinch, you can buy aftermarket wheels with removable balance weights, or you can buy a internal balance wheel and have the world's cheapest machine shop modify to suit using the many blueprints of said 360 flywheel found online.

Or you can run a 318. Or a 5.2 Magnum.

Pffft. "better" is a relative term, and you'll be relatively far ahead to

Buy stock 360 ' wheel
Add bell housing

Stir together in engine bay and cook at 257 degF or until tires start to melt.

If you don't know why it's "better", it's "better" that you leave your wallet in your pocket on the issue.

In a pinch, you can buy aftermarket wheels with removable balance weights, or you can buy a internal balance wheel and have the world's cheapest machine shop modify to suit using the many blueprints of said 360 flywheel found online.

Or you can run a 318. Or a 5.2 Magnum.

Won't I still have to balance the rotating assembly because of the new pistons and rods? So I should use a 360 flywheel, will the one that was in the truck fit in the car bellhousing?

Thanks for the input so far guys!

Won't I still have to balance the rotating assembly because of the new pistons and rods? So I should use a 360 flywheel, will the one that was in the truck fit in the car bellhousing?

Thanks for the input so far guys!

If the pistons and rods are spec'd for a 360 and aren't super-badass race pieces, the factory balance is pretty much maintained (IMO...Some believe you should balance every rotating assembly, and they're not wrong, but what are you really after here?).

Balance is like new shoes. You can buy cleats, but if you're waltzing....

The truck wheel is mucho biggo. 143 teeth, and too many inches in diameter. There's a car flywheel for a reason.

If the pistons and rods are spec'd for a 360 and aren't super-badass race pieces, the factory balance is pretty much maintained (IMO...Some believe you should balance every rotating assembly, and they're not wrong, but what are you really after here?).

Balance is like new shoes. You can buy cleats, but if you're waltzing....

The truck wheel is mucho biggo. 143 teeth, and too many inches in diameter. There's a car flywheel for a reason.

Ok, it's the dumb questions like these that. Really mean the most when more experienced wrenchers give their two cents. So to recap I will need a car bellhousing and wheel and there is no need to have it ballanced. What is your guys's opinion on the clutch, will the one in my car be fine or do I need a bigger one? I think that while I am in there I should replace it any way just for maintenance. I've looked at multiple forums and articles and haven't found anythi.g on this subject, I just don't want you to feel that I am using you as the answer key in the back of the book and not helping myself...

Ok, it's the dumb questions like these that. Really mean the most when more experienced wrenchers give their two cents. So to recap I will need a car bellhousing and wheel and there is no need to have it ballanced. What is your guys's opinion on the clutch, will the one in my car be fine or do I need a bigger one? I think that while I am in there I should replace it any way just for maintenance. I've looked at multiple forums and articles and haven't found anythi.g on this subject, I just don't want you to feel that I am using you as the answer key in the back of the book and not helping myself...

If you have a 360, get a 360 wheel and car bellhousing, and you should be good to go (I've not done this exact swap personally so I might be missing something).

You'll need a 10.5" clutch and pressure plate if memory serves. I don't believe the /6 pieces will fit, but I'm NOT up on the leaning tower of power.

I'm not saying to skip the balance. I can tell you the O.E. Chrysler balance jobs were horrendous to say the least. BUT! They didn't shake or break parts.

All that said I would still do the balance job. I was questioning why make it internal balance. I've done enough balance jobs that it isn't just a bit more to make it internal.

/6 clutches are too small and the bolt pattern will not fit the 360 flywheel.
Just like I suspected...a /6 automatic will not fit a small block (or anything else) and the /6 standard trans will not fit either, so you will have to go back to some scrap yard and get a trans from a small block...unless there is an adapter plate which will help you.

-
Back