360 pistons .080 over / anybody make them for a stock stroke

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Have a 340 which needs to go .040 over. Need a crankshaft as well so was thinking of getting a Scat cast cranks on 340 mains but a 3.58 stroke. Crankshaft price is great from RPM Machines at $300 but nobody I can find makes a .080 over piston for the 360.

Kieth Black does make a 4.080 piston but only for 3.31 and 4 inch stroke cranks--no 3.58.

4 inch stroke means the block needs to be notch out for the factory 340 rods to clear--means labor at the shop, think 3.58 stroke be no problems expect .070 360 pistons are the largest I could find

None that I've ever heard.

In the '70's there was an article where OEM 340 + .020" low compression pistons were used in a 360. But the underside needed clearancing for the counterweights and the top needed attention too. That was before the aftermarket companies started paying attention to the 360. You could try it now, but the added machine work to some decent low compression 340 pistons would probably result in a total price comparable to custom pistons, and you would run the risk of weakening the 340 pistons.

Most of the I-beam aftermarket rods would not require notching the block and would let you use 340 piston with 4" stroke. Difference in costs on pistons might just about makeup cost of rods and you are going to have to balance anyway.

Even if you have to notch the bores a day with a dye grinder would take care of that. They don't need much of a notch.

-
Back