360 stoker help

-

67valiant

Reaction score
hey guys i wanna build a 408 stroker but i dont know what kit i should go with let me know what i should go with, im goin to be using a set of j heads if that helps at all and im not looking to spend much over 3 grand in the end

Does the "end" refer to after only the parts are purchased or does it include machining and assembly? Are the j-heads ready to roll or do they need to be gone through? Are you planning on upgrading to 2.02s (if you haven't done so all ready)? What do you expect of your motor and what are you going to do with it (and the car)? Giving specs on the car and all of the other components would be helpful.

the machine work is not included in the 3000 total cost i do have to get the heads done and cut for 2.02 but i am goin to do that at school. im putting the engine in my valiant its goin to have a mini tub and im now installing a 4 speed
im not looking to go to crazy with the build just a quick street engine and i engine for the track once in a while.

As long as you don't go HP or RPM crazy, a cast crank kit will work fine. A cast crank engine can get you to the high tens. :-D

Scat has a real nice kit but DO NOT by it balanced. They run about 950 including rings & bearings

If you are on a budget, shop around and look for new parts that are being sold by someone that has changed directions.

Here's what you can do if you shop right.
H beam scat rods w/ARP 2000bolts $275 normally around $400-450
KB stroker pistons ~10:1 $85
New stroker crank anywhere from $220-280 I missed out on a new one for $150 locally
Rings $85
Bearings $100

I have roughly $615 in a complete stroker kit. The same kit from scat runs about $1200 with the rod upgrade.

Be patient and you can find some deals out there.

hey guys i wanna build a 408 stroker but i dont know what kit i should go with let me know what i should go with, im goin to be using a set of j heads if that helps at all and im not looking to spend much over 3 grand in the end

We built a 410 stroker with a 10.3:1 compression ratio late last year based upon a 70's 360 - all the way through dyno testing at Westech. Here's the info using an Eagle rotating assembly and Edelbrock aluminum heads.

Part one

Part two

Part three

Part four with a build sheet

Part five - Dyno testing and carb tests

Hope this help your decisions!

Scat has a real nice kit but DO NOT by it balanced. They run about 950 including rings & bearings

I bought the Scat balanced kit. The bearing clearances were very nice but the balance was sloppy so my local shop had to correct it. Shop around for the cheapest price then call Summit with the Scat part number for the unbalanced kit and order through them. Have a local shop balance it correctly. Here is a pretty good write up on a 408 build:

http://www.coopofdoom.net/stroker.html

You can save cash by using your stock rods. Scat is a good name for cheap cranks, it's what I use along with Probe pistons to get the desired compression.

I tend to see machine work to iron heads as a waste considering the cost and performance of aluminum heads out of the box. Considering the future; the machine costs are less and the weight advantage is hard to ignore.

I have a very nice set of 340 rods if you want to go that route. $45 plus shipping.

340rods.jpg

I bought an eagle set (crank, rods, bearings,pistons) for $1140. It cost me $150 to have it balanced. The guy im dealing with had such good prices I bought a lot of other parts from him. I got my balancer, oil pan, pump, flex plate and converter also the carb. Saved a bunch of money over buying from the big guys. Heads and cam came from Indy.

-
Back