360 stroker CAM HELP

-

Ozcuda

gotta love a MOPAR
Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

Ok I need so help advice on what cams you guy's are using with your stroker motors.

I have a 360 + "060" with 4 inch stroker so it's 416 ci.

The heads are J heads big valves, ported & polished inlet flows 256, ex flows 185

I run a 727 but am getting a new 1 built for the new motor along with new stall to suit the new cam.

Rear is 3:89 to 1

Car weigts 1425 Kg or 3300 Lbs.

Car is used mostly for the strip but we do drive it to & from the track.

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks Oz

and if you want a hydraulic cam this one is hard to beat -pulls hard past 7000 if you twist it that far

Hydraulic. This is possibly the most powerful hydraulic cam ever designed! Designed for Very Hot street/bracket race applications, this cam requires a minimum of 10.5:1 compression, 4.11 gearing and 3500 RPM stall converter. Works with up to 250HP nitrous, and pulls Very Hard past 6500 RPM.
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 284/292
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 242/252
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .533/.552
  • LSA/ICL: 110/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
  • RPM Range: 2500-6600^

and if you want a hydraulic cam this one is hard to beat -pulls hard past 7000 if you twist it that far

Hydraulic. This is possibly the most powerful hydraulic cam ever designed! Designed for Very Hot street/bracket race applications, this cam requires a minimum of 10.5:1 compression, 4.11 gearing and 3500 RPM stall converter. Works with up to 250HP nitrous, and pulls Very Hard past 6500 RPM.
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 284/292
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 242/252
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .533/.552
  • LSA/ICL: 110/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
  • RPM Range: 2500-6600^

That's a Lunati 60405

Sorry guy's I should have made mention I was intending to use a solid cam.

Might as well get a good custom cut cam. Brian at IMM can get a comp custom cut and fit what you need. Prices are usually competitive or better than the big dealers.

you didnt mention compression, what ratio rockers are using, i would have a custom designed cam for your application,probably not off the shelf, i would say something in the 248-258 @0.50 range.

Also, if your heads are already set up, what't the spring height and Max lift of them? If they aren't set up already, how much are you willing to put into them to get higher lift (if needed/wanted)?
BTW...is a 360 +.060 with 4" stroke really a 416? Here I've been thinking it was a 414, unless my math was screwed up. No biggie, I guess.

you didnt mention compression, what ratio rockers are using, i would have a custom designed cam for your application,probably not off the shelf, i would say something in the 248-258 @0.50 range.

Ok

we are looking at 11:5 comp

1:5 roller rockers

the old cam was comp cam # 20-227-4...in 231 @50 ex 237 @50 lift 525/525 worked well but now with more cubic inches & more compression we want to step it up.

Also, if your heads are already set up, what't the spring height and Max lift of them? If they aren't set up already, how much are you willing to put into them to get higher lift (if needed/wanted)?
BTW...is a 360 +.060 with 4" stroke really a 416? Here I've been thinking it was a 414, unless my math was screwed up. No biggie, I guess.

Hi
Mate heads will be matched tosuit the new cam. As for 416 that is what my engine guy said but I have a feeling he was thinking about a 340 not 360 so you are properbly right with 414.

Hi
Mate heads will be matched tosuit the new cam. As for 416 that is what my engine guy said but I have a feeling he was thinking about a 340 not 360 so you are properbly right with 414.

Yup, 414. 416 is ya +0.030" 340 stroker.

I think something in the 250° duration would work well, but you might want some steeper gears.

FWIW, I use a XR286R solid roller from Compcams, 248/254 duration with .576/.582 lift….and I think my cam is WAY too small. Someday soon I’m going to switch to something in the 260+ duration with .600+ lift..........but, I do expect my current combo to run in the high 10.60's to low 10.70's this fall after all the carb tuning I've been doing lately.:toothy7:

I think something in the 250° duration would work well, but you might want some steeper gears.

FWIW, I use a XR286R solid roller from Compcams, 248/254 duration with .576/.582 lift….and I think my cam is WAY too small. Someday soon I’m going to switch to something in the 260+ duration with .600+ lift..........but, I do expect my current combo to run in the high 10.60's to low 10.70's this fall after all the carb tuning I've been doing lately.:toothy7:

Ok talked with the engine builder over the weekend & he has recommended this Comp Cam

20-633-5

duuration is inlet 260 @ 50 & ex 266 @ 50...Lift is in .558 ex .555

Ok talked with the engine builder over the weekend & he has recommended this Comp Cam

20-633-5

duuration is inlet 260 @ 50 & ex 266 @ 50...Lift is in .558 ex .555

thats close to mine it will work well you will need a 4800-5000 stall for it to work its best

thats close to mine it will work well you will need a 4800-5000 stall for it to work its best

Hi Ian,

I can't wait to see what we pick up with all that we are doing. Just have to wait & see in a few months once it is all back together.

Cheers Gra

The flow was at 535 lift

Cool, it should work really nice then.

one more question would be what lift 'if at all' does the flow drop off/back up/turbulent at a substantial amount ?

cause a set of 1.6 rockers would make really sweet by getng that valve open a lil more , which might be more ideal ...depending on wether it backs up really bad or not.

Cool, it should work really nice then.

one more question would be what lift 'if at all' does the flow drop off/back up/turbulent at a substantial amount ?

cause a set of 1.6 rockers would make really sweet by getng that valve open a lil more , which might be more ideal ...depending on wether it backs up really bad or not.

I'm not sure I had the heads done awhile ago & he never gave me that info

I would to Brian or a local person that could help, if your not building the motor yourself. And also depends on what you want most Hp or good hp and Tq?

:blah5:

I thought that was Ray Barton?
Ya know.... the guy who holds records and a trophy's....LOL!

Nothing against Brian but, Quit insulting the rest of us.

lol you guys are hilarious, if you think im insulting you guys, then you have issues. I was suggesting a proven engine builder, not guys who put together their own engines who happen to run really well.

The only one insulting others are the ones who take things the wrong way.
1. Didnt know you had your own shop?
2. Didnt know you had engines in magazines with combos that work

see where im going with this? Brian is the guy to talk to on the West coast for custom cams since that is what he does for a living.

Didnt know you knew a single thing about or machining, engines or tuning since all your stuff is burnt up...so whats your judgment worth?

btw He's a machinist, not cam grinder.

So you base you opinion on magazine stardumb, good for you...
Brian does good work, but this is not really about him, it's about the way some people tout one person as some 'motorcity god', meanwhile they are begin'rs who just got done smart azzin the board for a yr thinking they know it all, then spins all his rod bearings out his motor...
No one guy is the end all, period.
Like I said and yet here u are again doing it...quit insulting the rest of us.

BTW I love the cam rec you offered in this thread...
now, see what I mean?

Didnt know you knew a single thing about or machining, engines or tuning since all your stuff is burnt up...so whats your judgment worth?

btw He's a machinist, not cam grinder.

So you base you opinion on magazine stardumb, good for you...
Brian does good work, but this is not really about him, it's about the way some people tout one person as some 'motorcity god', meanwhile they are begin'rs who just got done smart azzin the board for a yr thinking they know it all, then spins all his rod bearings out his motor...
No one guy is the end all, period.
Like I said and yet here u are again doing it...quit insulting the rest of us.

BTW I love the cam rec you offered in this thread...
now, see what I mean?

lol shows how much you know, I didnt spin a bearing :p, Got anti freeze inside the oil because the intake didnt seal. and no one is insulting quit crying. And I didn't say he was a cam grinder, but does have custom grinds he offers for builds he does. He would be a better person to talk to than someone who just throws out a random number or a cam they use as he would be able to know what works best, since he has touched more engines that most of us.

Notice you started this not me. All i said was give brian a call, whether I said it making him sound like he is god or not, is my decision to do and is my opinion.

and If I was building a stroker I would use a cam in the 250-260 @50 :) happy for cam rec. :)

plus im sure Cracked recommended him as well...hmm

And what stuff is all burnt up? Rod bearings? lol just get back on topic and creating problems, since im insulting you.

-
Back