360 swap questions

-
The pan that got a hole bashed in it by the center link was a stock pan for a '67-up small block A body. When the engine bay was widened for the big block/hemi A cars they did not require the relief in the pan. The answer is to get an early A pan but since you are using a 360 that is out the window....the Early A pan does not work on a 360 block. I do not have a 360 in my '65 Valiant, I have a 318 out of a '87 5 TH Avenue. I am assuming the pan that was damaged is from that car. I'm sure there is an answer to what pan to use out there but I don't have it. I just wanted you, and anyone else doing this swap, to know that there could be that issue. I had no damage from the leak, I found it when the pan started to "weep" at that spot and bought a couple of replacement pans off of the internet. One is on the car as we speak and it never hurts to have a spare in reserve hanging on the shop wall.

Bob

RGP

What pan did you use on your swap that ultimately gave you trouble (which pan do we need to stay away from)? Are you currently in the midst of this issue, or have you solved it with a different oil pan?

Hope your damage was minimal!

David

Look at the link from post #7 here for the proper pan to work in an early A body.

-
Back