360 - to stroke or not to stroke; that's the ?

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
Okay, planning the 360 going into my '71 Scamp. Got good info here on the machine work required. I'm planning on efi and a turbo. Lightweight forged crank, h-beam rods and pistons, internal balance, etc.

Next part of the plan...Given that this build is for a daily driver and NOT a racecar, and that the turbo is already overkill, should I stroke it? I'm thinking no (due to fuel economy reasons), but would like some feedback from the more experienced hands here. Thanks!

You're already pretty over-the-top, why not? The longer stroke would give you more torque on the bottom end before the turbo kicks in and would help the turbo spool faster. Gas mileage probably will go down though.

Considering the quality of the parts you plan to use, the cost for a stroker would probably be about the same as a stock displacement engine. Stroking sounds like a winner to me.

How much power do you want?

If it is just a daily driver, then stroking is not nesc. The turbo will be more then enough and you'll get better mileage with less cubes. But like ''64 Cuda' said, the cost will be close if you are replacing the crank/rods.

WARNING, there is a machine shop in your area (speedomotive) that really screwed me over (others I know too) with my 360 stroker. They screwed up so bad that they replaced my block.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dust- BIG thumbs up re: Speed-o-motive. Goes to show that lots of advertising and participation in Mopar Muscle's "engine challenge" doesn't guarantee quality work.

Do it, you neck and right foot will love you! :naka:

-
Back