360 vs 383

383 or 360 ?

• overall, 383 all things considered

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • overall, 360 all things considered

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters
-
Mopar joe weighed a BB/SB and found just under 60lb difference(i believe it was).. wouldn't the extra bb torque/power make up for that?
When they go on about weight they mean more in a handling sense. Ride quality.
But by time you add a few go fast goodies like intake headers etc.. A big block weighs no more than a stock small block.

Mopar joe weighed a BB/SB and found just under 60lb difference(i believe it was).. wouldn't the extra bb torque/power make up for that?
Depends on the car. B bodies tend to weigh several hundred pounds more than A bodies so the extra weight in front is less problematic. If the big block theoretically makes more torque, it's needed to get the heavier car moving more efficiently. Though I've never driven one myself, big block A bodies are notoriously poor handling cars due to the unfavorable front-to-rear weight balance. HP being around the same or "close enough" between both engines, I'm taking the small block every time because of the weight.

But since it's 2024 and not 1974, things like aluminum heads, intakes and shorter, lighter stroker pistons can offset the extra weight of the big block significantly so it's probably less of a factor now that those types of parts are readily available.

Depends on the car. B bodies tend to weigh several hundred pounds more than A bodies so the extra weight in front is less problematic. If the big block theoretically makes more torque, it's needed to get the heavier car moving more efficiently. Though I've never driven one myself, big block A bodies are notoriously poor handling cars due to the unfavorable front-to-rear weight balance. HP being around the same or "close enough" between both engines, I'm taking the small block every time because of the weight.

But since it's 2024 and not 1974, things like aluminum heads, intakes and shorter, lighter stroker pistons can offset the extra weight of the big block significantly so it's probably less of a factor now that those types of parts are readily available.
yes but you can also get alum heads and the same stuff for a small block... i have a small block myself, i just didn't thnk 50-60# would be that noticeable but i don't think about handling..

He did a lot of different weight scenarios, but I know in the one he had aluminum heads on the BB, and cast on the small blocks. Probably in full stock weight, with the cast water pump housing and all, the BB would weigh more than 60 lbs over a small block

I have NOT read this whole thread, but I'm sure there are great comments in it.
For me, one thru four, the choice comes down to what chassis I'm putting the engine in.....

Early A body: easy.. small block.
67 up A body, probably the 360.
B-body: no brainer, the 383
E body: ditto

Basically, the bigger, the heavier the car, the more it needs a big block.

1. 383. Might be a bit heavier, but keeping everyhting else equal it still has an advantage. "Bigger" heads, slightly bigger cam, more compression and 23 extra cubes. Might be held back by the smaller carburetor vs a T-quad on a 360 but not by much.

For scenario 2, 3 and 4 I would still choose the 383. Stronger block, bigger bore, larger valves. 383 might be more $$$ to swap in an a body due to headers and engine mounts, but other than that I would choose the 383.

1971 Polara offered both the 360 2bbl and 383 2bbl. By their numbers....
  • 360 - 255 gross HP / 360 ft lbs
  • 383 - 275 gross HP / 375 ft lbs
What was the highest gross torque rating for the 360? The 383 was 425LBFT.

What was the highest gross torque rating for the 360? The 383 was 425LBFT.
The numbers are pretty fudged by so many variances of the 360 and usually these numbers rolled in on Net. I don't have the answer. However, if we want to get exotic, the 383 actually had a version of 460 ft lbs in the 1960 Super D 500 cross ram edition

I find it funny how people all day long beat on people for wanting to build a 318 or even 340 over 360 cause of displacement cause there's no replacement for it but that apparently stops at 360.

The numbers are pretty fudged by so many variances of the 360 and usually these numbers rolled in on Net. I don't have the answer. However, if we want to get exotic, the 383 actually had a version of 460 ft lbs in the 1960 Super D 500
Yeah I knew there were some with more torque, but I was trying to keep it limited to passenger cars, as I figured that was better suited to your comparison. The 360 was available in only one year where gross measurements were used, 1971. ......and not with a four barrel.

I find funny how people all day long beat on people for wanting to build a 318 or even 340 over 360 cause of displacement cause there's no replacement for it but that apparently stops at 360.
The 360 needs no defending these days (or past few decades). The street and strips are flooded with 360's performing at a very high level.

From what I can find, the 71 360 was rated at 360LBFT. I don't think a four barrel will make the difference to 425.

Yeah I knew there were some with more torque, but I was trying to keep it limited to passenger cars, as I figured that was better suited to your comparison. The 360 was available in only one year where gross measurements were used, 1971. ......and not with a four barrel.
Absolutely, and thank you. And you are correct, only the 2bbl in '71 was measured in gross.

The 360 needs no defending these days (or past few decades). The street and strips are flooded with 360's performing at a very high level.
I love a stock stroke 360. Fantastic engines.

From what I can find, the 71 360 was rated at 360LBFT. I don't think a four barrel will make the difference to 425.
Which shows how fast torque can grow with bore as well as stroke.

Which shows how fast torque can grow with bore as well as stroke.
Yup. I think the 383 is like the 340. The bore is big compared to the stroke, so there's more push to get a relatively short stroke crank spinning.

Won't the 383 always weight more than the 360 if they both have the same advantages of aluminum parts? The 383 has wider bore centers, taller deck and skirted block. Just more cast iron.

Not saying it makes a huge difference, but it sure seems like the 383 will always weight more.

360 obviously a very capable engine not knocking it.
But you could easily build a 600-700+ hp bbm for similar money and work as a 450-550hp sbm.

360 obviously a very capable engine not knocking it.
But you could easily build a 600-700+ hp bbm for similar money and work as a 450-550hp sbm.
Not sure the 383 will get to 700 hp for the same cost a 360 gets to 500 hp, others may be able to speak to that.

k.. let's talk about spark plug changing ease..... That's the most important factor... 360 for the win easily.... just staring right up easy to get to...
2023-09-24 15.45.40.jpg

Won't the 383 always weight more than the 360 if they both have the same advantages of aluminum parts? The 383 has wider bore centers, taller deck and skirted block. Just more cast iron.

Not saying it makes a huge difference, but it sure seems like the 383 will always weight more.
Yes but a stock sbm weight is considered acceptable handling wise, so if a modded big block weighs similar to that should be acceptable also, now if building something like an auto cross car then the benefit of even less weight can be an advantage.

k.. let's talk about spark plug changing ease..... That's the most important factor... 360 for the win easily.... just staring right up easy to get to...
View attachment 1716247251
That would be a lot of what vehicle the engine is in. For sure, the small block with Doug headers will be an orbit or two away easier than a BB with headers in a A-body.

-
Back