360 Zero Balance Torque Converter

-

66 Barracuda

Reaction score
So I have a 78 360. New cast crank, harmonic balancer, and aftermarket flex plate.
Crank was balanced at the machine shop with h/b, flexplate attached and the machinist told me that I would need a zero balance TQ converter vice the weighted due to the good balance of everything.
QUESTION? Where due I get a TQ conv without the weight welded to it, or due I have to grind it off? Trans is a 66 904 in 66 Barracuda.

Either get a 318 or steel crank 340 converter or remove the weights. They will come right off.

Thats kind of what I figured, was looking for confirmation. Thanks. But where are you guys ordering your TQ's through?

Thats kind of what I figured, was looking for confirmation. Thanks. But where are you guys ordering your TQ's through?
I have a Mancini TQ Convertor, it is neutral balanced it was a little over 200 bucks, stall 2200-2500 they also have a 3000 stall also.

It varies. I'm not running an automatic this go around, but if I was, I would just get a Summit converter. They are fine for a hot street and occasional race car.

Thanks guys!!!!! Back out to the cold. Gotta love the extreme Northwest.

Keep this in mind. The 66 transmission had a different input shaft spline count (18 spline if I remember right) than on 68 and up transmissions (27 spline) so you need a torque converter for an early 18 spline input shaft.

Just thought of another problem. Your 78 360 (or any 68 and newer v8) uses a 1.81" converter register. That's the button that slips into the crank. The early converters are 1.55" so it'll fit very loose in the crank which will eat the front pump and possibly the converter snout. You'll need to get an adapter bushing to slip over the converter button so it fits properly.

-
Back