.???

-
Rube Goldburg? The 360 l have is the LA design. I'd have to find a 5.9. But won't if it's not worth the trouble.

Rube Goldburg? The 360 l have is the LA design. I'd have to find a 5.9. But won't if it's not worth the trouble.
To run LA heads on a Mag block you've gotta find your own way of getting oil to the top end. Drilling into galleys, running lines through valve covers, hoping you guessed right on hole size/tubing diameter, ect. Yup Rube Goldberg in my book.

To run LA heads on a Mag block you've gotta find your own way of getting oil to the top end. Drilling into galleys, running lines through valve covers, hoping you guessed right on hole size/tubing diameter, ect. Yup Rube Goldberg in my book.
Sounds like more than I wanna do for a 360. What about comp cams roller rocker kit for 5.9 magnums,any good or a lotta hype?

Sounds like more than I wanna do for a 360. What about comp cams roller rocker kit for 5.9 magnums,any good or a lotta hype?
Not familiar with it. If you've got an LA, go with that. The only real advantage to a Mag is it's got a factory roller cam and good LA cores are getting harder to find.

Google "www.Magnumswap.com". A guy who had a stock short block 5.9 , with minor bolt ons run 11.70's @ 116-7 here. Named "LX guy " here. Have one in my 72 Scamp, runs nice. Best daily driver 5.9 here, would probably be " Trailbeast" aka Greg. I highly recommend the E.Q. replacement heads over stock Magnums( better air flow, available in LA intake manifold bolt pattern). The flexplate will need to be offset ground, on one hole. The 5.9 comes with a serp setup balancer as a one piece, Professional Products, makes a harmonic balancer to replace it.97 on up comes with a weighted flexplate, knock the weights off a 360 or cast 340 torque converter.Long tube headers should be mocked up , on the engine stand. (Some times the truck engine mount bosses need to be ground down to clear) Use a 360 LA oil pan to fit. Otherwise, straight forward swap, for a LA small block.

Roller rockerso.k., Hughes makes a nice, but expensive kit. Keep the lift around .500"-525" , with the 1.6 rockers... unless willing to do the usual valve guide/ spring & retainer clearances Hughes 1110 springs, and matching retainers work well here. B.T.W.: ...the Mr.Gasket 1121g .021" head gasket, picks up a couple of tenths over a stock 050"-060" thickness gasket.

Google "www.Magnumswap.com". A guy who had a stock short block 5.9 , with minor bolt ons run 11.70's @ 116-7 here. Named "LX guy " here. Have one in my 72 Scamp, runs nice. Best daily driver 5.9 here, would probably be " Trailbeast" aka Greg. I highly recommend the E.Q. replacement heads over stock Magnums( better air flow, available in LA intake manifold bolt pattern). The flexplate will need to be offset ground, on one hole. The 5.9 comes with a serp setup balancer as a one piece, Professional Products, makes a harmonic balancer to replace it.97 on up comes with a weighted flexplate, knock the weights off a 360 or cast 340 torque converter.Long tube headers should be mocked up , on the engine stand. (Some times the truck engine mount bosses need to be ground down to clear) Use a 360 LA oil pan to fit. Otherwise, straight forward swap, for a LA small block.
Thanks" I've used EQ heads on some Chevy builds I've done. Just cut em for 2" and 1.65 Ferra LS valves. Made nice fast burn heads.

Professional products balancer any good? Australian boxed but made in China... Used a couple of Chevy ones for builds but haven't heard.

Professional products balancer any good? Australian boxed but made in China... Used a couple of Chevy ones for builds but haven't heard.
Some people complain.. Mine has treated me well, they do make an SFI rated one, if that works for you.

Hughes is expensive anyway,and maybe rightfully so. But I got to build smart and avoid unnecessary expense. That's why I'm asking. Can't make the same frivolous mistakes I did when I was younger. Enjoying the heck out of my cuda after 35 years of not having one!

Hughes is expensive anyway,and maybe rightfully so. But I got to build smart and avoid unnecessary expense. That's why I'm asking. Can't make the same frivolous mistakes I did when I was younger. Enjoying the heck out of my cuda after 35 years of not having one!
Stock rocker set up, is the same as 5.0 Mustang pedestal set up. Run stock rockers, pick your cam ( make sure it is a cast iron gear, or ground on a cast iron core... Comp is notorious for that.. On a budget,call Oregon Cams... They do, sweet work..) install the proper valve springs,& retainers..., (above recommended Hughes 1110, or equivalent...), and order an adjustable pushrod, do your sweep and valve tip contact , with a felt tip. Fwiw: If you like Mopar Action, and Rick Ehrenberg, he did a low dollar Magnum top end buildup... They aren't online, the issues were 2012, 2013- ish.. Made 460 ish hp... mild cam

To be honest 620, you post , how I think. Quick, curt , To the point no b.s. on technical. Best of luck,sir.....

-
Back