383 A-Body Valve Covers Question

-

cuda dad

Reaction score
I am trying to understand the difference in valve covers for a 1969 383 A-Body. Here is what I think I know.
- 1967 through 1969 are all chrome, (440 are painted).
- 1969 passenger side does not have the heater hose bracket and it seems the #7 and #8 wire separator brackets may be positioned differently.
- 1967 through 1969 driver side may be the same.
- 1967 and 1968 passenger side may be the same.

Are A-Body valve covers different than B-Body valve covers?

The only difference in A-Body 383 covers is 67-68 had the heater hose bracket on the passenger side. The 69 version does not. All the wire holders are the same 67-69.

Some of the B covers are the same only not in chrome. The parts manual helps slightly!

Not really, he has a set of originals but they are like yours with the heater hose bracket.

Mine (passenger side) are 67/68! Only reason I used it was the fender bracket hole was never punched in the original inner fender as most 69's are. I gambled as I believe it is true to the car. Either it had a 68 cover or it just had no fender bracket. Only the original owner knows and I have no idea who they were!

By the way I hope you are getting some good progress and look forward to seeing your smiling face as you take delivery!!!

69383S, Could it be your 69 Barracuda was an early production? Built in late 68 and received the 67-8 style covers thus the hose routing situation? I guess the build date would confirm...just a thought

69383S, Could it be your 69 Barracuda was an early production? Built in late 68 and received the 67-8 style covers thus the hose routing situation? I guess the build date would confirm...just a thought

No.

Early Oct date on the tag. Makes no sense really. Only thing I know is the car was pulled from the line and re-painted from B3 to B7 according to what Le Hodge believes. The fender tag shows B7 B7 but the first color above finish primer was B3. Wish I had more answers as he was sure it was the original inner fender and had not been damaged previously.

67 R/T and GTX used chrome valve covers also. I believe they were the same as A-body. I have a right side w/o bracket on my green car, which I know is incorrect for 67.

IMG_3282 (1280x853).jpg

Last edited:
Would you be interested in trading your incorrect passenger side for a correct one?

My dad bought a 67 gtx some time ago. It was an awesome barn find. All original. The right chrome valve cover has the bracket for the heater hoses. My 69 383 barracuda has the bracket on the inner fender for the heater hoses. Now my car came from my uncle who ordered it new & the chrome valve covers he gave me have the bracket on them & he swears they came off the barracuda. He doesn't remember how the hoses ran.

Although the valve covers are long gone, my 69 has the bracket on the fender. It's kind of hard to see with the fuel pump sitting there next to it.

Hose Bracket.jpg

-
Back