383 build advice

-

chadf

Reaction score
I lucked into a deal today. A guy a few years ago dropped off his block had all the machine work done and never returned to pay the $200 owing. Long story short the machine shop got a hold of him and the fella said just sell it all for whatever he owed. So.i picked up a 1967 383 fresh from the machine shop .060 on the bores align honed. new cam bearings. Fresh .010/.010 crank. Beamed and polished rods with arp bolts Whats a decent piston to get the compression up? I have always run forged stuff..what are the hyperutectic pistons like ?.. I like the high rpm stuff and i was thinking of doing this motor for 69 barracuda 4 spd car...the motor will be getting a solid roller shaft. I have a ported set of 906's and a ported set of 915's that i bought from a speed shop that shut down. I bought both sets of heads with with bronze guides and new stainless valves and ported for $500..for what i bought the stuff for this motor can be built on the cheap lol

I'd go with a forged set, the/speed pro/sealed power would work but are very heavy, diamond has a few options I believe

I'd go with a forged set, the/speed pro/sealed power would work but are very heavy, diamond has a few options I believe
Would like to keep the slugs fairly light and some valve reliefs for a bigger shaft... i will do some digging on the diamond site. Just wondering what the guys were using.. i know the popular way is to stroke them but for what i have into the parts it could be cheap fun littler screamer

Last edited:
I use to run a stock stroke 383 with some old trw dome slugs, rpm heads and a flat tappet solid cam, m1 intake and a 850 holley, shifted at 6700 and went 11.20 in a 69 all steel dart was the most dependable and fun motor I've had wish I would have kept it

I have a set of arias dome 383 pistons I lucked into....but I don't think there are too many off the shelf options

Dont think they make a 383 piston with the stock compression height. Best bet is to pick some pistons and have the block decked, get you pistons at or near zero deck. Use the Keith Black Hyperutectics, they are light and strong enough for a N/A build. If I had the choice I would use the 915 for the closed chamber. DO the match and you will be able to get quench and the compression you want. With the iron heads prob dont want to get too high.

I lucked into a deal today. A guy a few years ago dropped off his block had all the machine work done and never returned to pay the $200 owing. Long story short the machine shop got a hold of him and the fella said just sell it all for whatever he owed. So.i picked up a 1967 383 fresh from the machine shop .060 on the bores align honed. new cam bearings. Fresh .010/.010 crank. Beamed and polished rods with arp bolts Whats a decent piston to get the compression up? I have always run forged stuff..what are the hyperutectic pistons like ?.. I like the high rpm stuff and i was thinking of doing this motor for 69 barracuda 4 spd car...the motor will be getting a solid roller shaft. I have a ported set of 906's and a ported set of 915's that i bought from a speed shop that shut down. I bought both sets of heads with with bronze guides and new stainless valves and ported for $500..for what i bought the stuff for this motor can be built on the cheap lol
IMO, build it with the Hyper slugs. There a fine piston. There light weight and can take abuse. While not the abuse of a forged slug, they can take a punch.
Proper ring gap and ignition timing and you'll be fine. If N02 comes into the picture, I'd suggest that the ring gap be opened up, which is a lot of work on a assembled engine.

IMO, build it with the Hyper slugs. There a fine piston. There light weight and can take abuse. While not the abuse of a forged slug, they can take a punch.
Proper ring gap and ignition timing and you'll be fine. If N02 comes into the picture, I'd suggest that the ring gap be opened up, which is a lot of work on a assembled engine.
Oh there will be no .,NOS in this little cars future...just want to play around amd have fun on this car..my other barracuda is getting a 499 short deck

Unless you contract a custom piston, you'll be hard pressed to find anything lighter than the KB offering...they're only $400 and change for a full set with rings and KB says they can handle moderate power adders with proper setup, should the desire arise. They run close tolerance, they're only a few thou under the deck (if it's already cut to blueprint deck height), have generous valve reliefs...tough to beat them on a budget.

I just checked the KB website. For some reason I thought they were a little closer to zero...assuming 9.98" true deck height, proper crank index and rod center to center measurements, they'll fall in at .026" in the hole. Depending on the size of the chambers and the gaskets (I assumed an 040x4.35" gasket) you choose, your SCR might be somewhere in the mid 8s...

Speed-Pro Forged Pistons WL2315F60
or
Keith Black Hypers KB400-060
or
440 source kit 383.496.5050

I'd wager you'll need to take anywhere from .005 to 020 off to clean up the deck and make it square to the main bore. The two 400's I've recently done went square and clean at 9.965 and 9.970. S/F....Ken M

-
Back