383 cam

-

straightaxledar

Reaction score
Hey boys I have a 66 dart gasser with a 383 .30 over threw a set of 440 source heads on with a .488 cam I'm curious if I can upgrade to a comp cam .564 and do some head work and make missile lol thanks in advance boys running a single plane intake with 750 carb msd ignition and distributor running 410 gear on 727 I want a crazy lobe with good power for street strip more so pissing off the local car clubs

I see nothing wrong with upgrading the camshaft, but I wouldn't call anything from Comp an upgrade.

A .564 lift cam would definitely wake up your 383. The 440 source heads are OK out of the box but definitely benefit from some mild porting work. Be sure to check piston-to-valve clearance with that much lift and duration. Especially if you have the original '66 383 pistons...

The motor was put together 5 years ago with a tunnel ram set ram for the gasser look but spark plugs got expensive lol it was stock cast iron heads I've made several changes and no real gains so I'm thinking the 488 cam is why

Check your piston to valve clearances. I know a flat piston sits about .037 down in the bore on my 69 383. I think these are lower compression than a stock HP piston. So with your 10.4:1 set up I think clearancenmay be a concern

Yes, just like I said in post #3 :poke:

KB pistons tend to have generous valve reliefs (for example, my KB280's still have a LOT of clearance even with a [email protected], .652 lift cam :)

What KB part number are you running, OP?

I'm not sure on part number I would have to go threw build folder I know it's not a crazy fast car but I feel like it should run better than it is

Hey boys I have a 66 dart gasser with a 383 .30 over threw a set of 440 source heads on with a .488 cam I'm curious if I can upgrade to a comp cam .564 and do some head work and make missile lol thanks in advance boys running a single plane intake with 750 carb msd ignition and distributor running 410 gear on 727 I want a crazy lobe with good power for street strip more so pissing off the local car clubs
What do you have for a convertor?

Everything you list tells me you need at least 3500 stall convertor, preferably 4500

It has a hughes 2800 in it
I think the performance is hindered with the 2800 stall, in fact I know. A 383 with a single plane intake requires a higher stalling convertor. that includes the camshaft choice as well
Everything you list tells me you need at least 3500 stall convertor, preferably 4500

The operating range of the Comp 564 is 3000-6500rpm.
A convertor in the 4500 range would be better suited.

The motor currently has a comp .488 cam I'm wanting to upgrade to a bigger cam that's more lopey and hopefully better performance out of it and I'm running a dual plane intake idk y I said single plane must of been outta it when I posted sorry

And I just wanna say thanks to all u guys there's not many folks that r willing help out anymore

-
Back