Status
Not open for further replies.

Moparnutt340

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
My buddy in Hamilton Ontario is in need of a good crank shaft for a 383
His engine is in being rebuilt right now and they told him the crank is garbage. He's already at the top of his buget so he's trying to find a cheap used one before having to buy a new one

If anyone's got one pm me with a price and location please

OR If you know where to get a good price on a new one post it here

THANKS

Have you tried looking on B-bodies and E-bodies only sites? They had more big blocks than A-bodies.

The more you spread the word, the better chance to find one closer and cheaper.

Sorry, I don't have much bb stuff.

Thanks KrazyKuda, That will be my next step...........

One just got listed online near by, it says steel std/std 2brl newport and its cheap
I don't know if there's any difference between a 2or4 brl.

I'm waiting to hear back for the casting number of the old crank, are they all interchangable or is he limited to what 383 cranks he can use ?

I'm just hunting for a crank for him, I know nothing about what fits what, and he's not building anything crazy, just mild maybe 400HP or a lil over so a cast crank is fine

I'll have to look and see what we did with the cast crank out of the 400. We bought a 512 stroker kit and pulled it. As I remember, it wasn't scored and the block had minimal cylinder wear. Might need to be polished. It's got to be out at our farm in the shop somewhere.

383 cranks are the same as far as I know. It is a bonus to find one close to you. I have a few forged 383 cranks but I doubt it would pay to ship.

I'll have to look and see what we did with the cast crank out of the 400. We bought a 512 stroker kit and pulled it. As I remember, it wasn't scored and the block had minimal cylinder wear. Might need to be polished. It's got to be out at our farm in the shop somewhere.

it actually was a 400 crank that was in the 383 before but its been macined twice now and wont balance.

I appreciate the help folks, both here and those who have messaged my inbox. Just waiting to hear back from one of the local guys who might have one before I contact anyone else.

Thanks KrazyKuda, That will be my next step...........

One just got listed online near by, it says steel std/std 2brl newport and its cheap
I don't know if there's any difference between a 2or4 brl.

I'm waiting to hear back for the casting number of the old crank, are they all interchangable or is he limited to what 383 cranks he can use ?

I'm just hunting for a crank for him, I know nothing about what fits what, and he's not building anything crazy, just mild maybe 400HP or a lil over so a cast crank is fine

361, 383, and 400 all have the same stroke. I'm not sure if the main bearing diameter is the same (I think it is) then you can interchange the cranks. I would also try to get the vibration damper from the crank that you buy also, just so you have the proper one to go with the crank.

As far as different between 2 bbl and 4 bbl, if they are both cast then I would bet that they are the same and completely interchangeable. I still recommend trying to get the vibration damper and crank pulley with the crank if they have the original ones for it. It's always better to have two sets of parts to get things together, than just one...

361, 383, and 400 all have the same stroke. I'm not sure if the main bearing diameter is the same (I think it is) then you can interchange the cranks. I would also try to get the vibration damper from the crank that you buy also, just so you have the proper one to go with the crank.

As far as different between 2 bbl and 4 bbl, if they are both cast then I would bet that they are the same and completely interchangeable. I still recommend trying to get the vibration damper and crank pulley with the crank if they have the original ones for it. It's always better to have two sets of parts to get things together, than just one...

Good info Thank you, coincedently one just got listed online an hour from here, crank with damper, rods & Bearings, $100.... Only problem now is I can't get ahold of my buddy that needs this lol. I think he got stuck working late

Thanks again guys, I'll keep posted until he gets one

The cast cranks also have special torque converters or flexplates for "71" 383 or 400.

Yes, I am aware of that part. The one taken out of his was a cast 400 crank turned .030 so he should be already set up proper for it. I believe his block is 69

I learned a bit about the converters when I changed my Dart over to a 727 with an aftermarket converter. I had to buy the weighted flex plate because I currently have a cast crank, but when the engine gets built it will get a forged crank.
Cheaper to use the B&M flex plate than to replace the converter twice

Yes, it is nice to have a neutral balanced convertor and be able to use it with any engine simply by changing flex plates.

I guess the engine builder got him a forged crank already.
Thanks to all that quickly offered help here, you guys are great !

I have a 383 forged crank that was used to set up an engine that was never run it's in the factory box if you PM me I will take some pictures and send them to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back