383 engine noise

-
Heatriser? fuel pump pushrod?
Heat riser removed and holes welded and I hear the tick mainly on drivers side. No real noise with stethoscope around fuel pump area. Also it only ticks after engine is fully warmed up.
Could still be just a exhaust leak but now this deep lifter preload has me concerned. Thanks

So I started measuring each lifter preload and I am getting some preload measurements in the 0.070" to 0.120" range. When 0.040" is the recommended setting I guess I have a problem. I checked my pushrods and the are correct for a 383 engine. I looked at my bill when I had the heads reconditioned and the bill stated " heads milled 0.06" unless they took more off, but my intake manifold bolted up good without any issues.. other than adjustable rocker arms do I have any other options? Thanks

with 60 thou milled off the heads the intake had to have been milled or something for the bolts to line up...was the block decked as well? dads heads were milled .010 and the bolts were extremely tight to get in...but either different pushrods, or adjustable rockers I would assume are your only options. a custom shorter pushrod would be cheaper... I got some .080 wall Smith Bros pushrods for 200 bucks. throw an adjustable in there to get the preload where you need it and send it to them and they will make you a set right up

can't believe others haven't weighed in on this either, I don't have much experience with hydraulic setups but the fundamentals are the same lol.

with 60 thou milled off the heads the intake had to have been milled or something for the bolts to line up...was the block decked as well? dads heads were milled .010 and the bolts were extremely tight to get in...but either different pushrods, or adjustable rockers I would assume are your only options. a custom shorter pushrod would be cheaper... I got some .080 wall Smith Bros pushrods for 200 bucks. throw an adjustable in there to get the preload where you need it and send it to them and they will make you a set right up

can't believe others haven't weighed in on this either, I don't have much experience with hydraulic setups but the fundamentals are the same lol.
The machine shop only took "6" thousands off the heads. And they never even touched my intake. The block was not decked either. That why I'm puzzled why the deep preload. I might pull a lifter out and compare it to my original ones. I put a set of Comp Cams magnum adjustable roller rockers on my last 440 I loved them, I priced a set and the price has gone up alot. Thanks

could always try to find a set of crane or risky ductile rockers, good bit cheaper and very durable

Yes I am going to price a set of 1.5 Crane tomorrow. Thanks

I just made a wanted ad... lol thanks

Well I thought I would give an update on the 383.. seeing I didn't like the excessive lifter preload I bought a new set of Comp pro magnum roller rockers and new length pushrods, put it together and no more tick. Thanks

-
Back