383 machined crank weights?

-

Dart_440

Reaction score
I bought a complete 383 which is believed to have come from a 65' Polara. I tore the top end down for inspection and a cam\lifter swap. When I look down inside the lifter valley, I can see the ends of the counter weights on the crank have all been machined. They are flat with machined grooves and are very shiny. Is it possible this is not the original crank and they were ground for figment? Or would they be ground down for balancing? I will see if I can get some pictures.

Thanks Bryan

Pictures,pictures,pictures,mrmopartech
If its a origanal crank its going to be a forged crank,but check the bearing size and that will tell you if some one been in there before,MMT

I stuffed the cam back in it last night so I can't really see the crank any more. I am gonna try to pull the pan tonight or tomorrow and check it out.

It's probably original. They were real nice pieces right from the factory. I just got rid of two.

I will try to get out there tomorrow and get the pan off and snap some pics. I guess I have never seen one like this.. the sides look like normal, machined.. but slightly golden brownish colored. The bottom surface of the counter weights look so freashly machined and shiny you would think I did them yesterday.

The motor was in excelent condition and I believe had just had a complete over haul. So time will tell when I get that pan off and inspect it further.

Thanks

They did so much kooky stuff at Chrysler it aint funny. Couldda been a 440 blank and got machined down, you never know. I've seen them either way. Nice and uniform all over and just as you describe with the counterweight faces freshly machined lookin.

-
Back