Not open for further replies.

68original

Got bourbon?
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Contact seller
I am looking for a 383 oil dipstick for my 68 Formula S. Engine has the 893 oil pan. I don't know if they are different length from other 383's so here are the dimensions of what I am looking for, courtesy of member MOPARMITCH:

Length from tip of dipstick to the insert stop lip on the handle = 20 inches
Full line is 2 1/8" up from tip, add line is 1.5" up from tip.

Numbers matching car so would really like to find a correct dipstick. Can't seem to find a CORRECT new one listed anywhere. Used is fine.

PM me if you can help. Thanks!

Part number 2899411.

I know this is a VERY long shot to find so hoping someone on the site might know of one.
Thanks.

I have one but like you for a numbers car and not for sale. Do you just need the stick or the stick and tube?

I have to pull engine in the next week. I can check it and photograph against the std 383 one for length. Perhaps a std one can be modified?

The real difference, for those wondering, is the a-body 383 dipstick tube attaches to the left front engine mounting tab. There is not a rear tab on a correct a-body 383 block.

Thanks Rocky_JS.

Pictures would be great and a confirmation that the dimensions I have listed are correct. The one dimension I didn't ask the other member for was the overall length. The Mopar 68 parts catalog I have shows overall lengths on all big block dipsticks EXCEPT the special one for 383 Darts, Valiants and Barracudas. Go figure.

I only need the dipstick. I found a correct tube that bolts to the motor mount, but no one is making the dipstick that I can find. I suppose the tubes sometime get destroyed but the dipstick is still fine. Also, I believe since the tubes are bolted to the motor mount, they are not painted engine block color.

I know I can cut a longer one and remark the add and full lines, which is what I will probably do in the meantime. But in my pursuit of detail, a correct one would be awesome, no matter how long I have to look.

Here is a photo of the A-body 383 Motor mount and dip stick.

I don't have the part needed, but I hope this helps you out

mopar charlie

Attachments

• 1968 dart 383 exhaust manifold & motor mount.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 431
The dip stick and tube might be one of the Holy Grail of A body Big blocks . It took me 3 years of watching E-bay to get one and still looking for a tube . Here is some pictures of my NOS one showing the lenght

Attachments

• WP_20140908_001.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 300
  • WP_20140908_002.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 280
I kept the tube and stick from a blown 383 in my Charger. It will really be buried deep. If I can find it today or tomorrow its yours, if it fits your criteria.

To 1968hemidart and rtse440 - thank you for posting pictures of the tube and the actual oil dipstick in question. Could help other members in the future; I'm sure I am not the only person in A-body world looking for this item.
Maybe I was lucky, or willing to settle for repop, but this summer I was able to find the correct tube that attaches to the motor mount bolt. A bearcat to install with the engine in the car, but I was able to get it pressed in without destroying the bottom lip.
I will have to agree with rtse440's comment about holy grail - I feel I will be looking for a LONG time, unless the parts gods decide to shine on me.

Magnumdart - thank you for the offer, unfortunately this is an A-body 383 only part. Other 383 dipsticks from 1968 are different lengths according to the parts books.

Thanks FABO, the search continues.

Let me know if you have an extra set

thanks Mark

Thanks Dave.
That would be great if you have an extra one you are willing to part with. Just let me know when you have a chance to look and confirm and we can PM details from there.

Is this what you are after?

From a 69 383 Barracuda. Do not have an extra tube though.

Attachments

• IMG_0735.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0736.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0737.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0738.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0739.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0740.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 232
I don't think so, but I am basing this on measurements I received from another member. The overall length, add and full marks are different than what I was given.

Can anyone else confirm the measurements I listed at the beginning of the thread, and possibly post pics with the factory correct dipstick next to a tape measure? 1967, 68, 69 383 Barracudas and Darts have the same part numbers listed for the tube and dipstick so hoping someone can help.

Thanks again.

Just a note - rtse440 posted pics, which I greatly appreciate, but these measurements don't match my previous information from member MoparMitch.
Without confirmation of measurements, and since I don't have the original dipstick, AND since the factory parts manuals are silent on dimensions for the dipstick, I really don't know what the correct one is supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back