383 Oil Pump Pickup Question/Problem

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
We're building a 383 for my son's Dart and have come upon a small problem. The engine has a 187 pan, and we had to buy a replacement oil pump pickup to replace the damaged old one (had been badly gouged by a set of vise grips by whoever put it in last time). Upon trying to install the pan over the pickup we found that the pickup won't screw into the block far enough to allow the pan rails to seat on the block. The threads on the new pickup appear to be about 1/2 inch longer than the old pickup. Now here are my questions:

1) What is the thread size/count on the pickup in case we decide to cut and dress up the threads to make the pickup fit.

2) Do we even have the correct pickup for this combo (383 with 187 pan) ??

Answers, anyone...???

Photo of the new pickup:

Attachments

• Oil Pickup s.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 432
This is a common problem I've had with BB center sump pans. They tend to hit the pick up before the pan touches the block. The way I solve it is to support the tube while tapping the pick up with the palm of my had to gain the clearance.

it's 3/8" npt tread. you can recut the treads longer so it goes in more as they are a tapered tread. your old pick-up is ok to use, they are made of thick wall tubing and last for ever. be careful if you try to bend it while it's in the block because you might break the block. heat it with a torch first.

Well, I did some checking and found the thread is a 3/8 NPSM, which I'm not familiar with. I'm going to order the pickup suggested by RustyRatRod and see if that one fits better ($32.99 at AutoZone - Melling 63-S4).

-
Back