383 Questions

-

UNO_Student

Reaction score
Hi Guys i just picked up 2 free 383 engines and i was wondering the different bore and stroking options that can be done to this motor. My dad was wondering if there is a possible way to bore and storke it to a 426 and stick HEMI heads on it? Sorry for the newb Mopar Questions but we are AMC and Chevy Guys that got a Mopar Engine.

To make it a 426 all you need to do is install a 3.75 stroke crank. I have heard of people putting hemi heads on a wedge block but it takes some work. The block has to be notched to clear pushrods and some head bolt bosses are missing on the wedge block to bolt on the hemi heads. These bosses can be welded on but it will take a very good welding shop to weld them strong enough. As far as power stand point I would leave the motor a wedge. Unless you are going all out the wedge will run harder than the hemi in a street/strip application.

Chuck

The 383 and 426 share the same bore of 4.25,
the difference is the stroke 3.38 (383) 3.75 (426).
There really is no reason to mess with Hemi heads
as you can make the wedges run good. The cleanest
stroker is to put the 426/440 crank into the 383. There
are several companies selling stroker kits: 440source,
muscle motors, hughes and Indy.
What are your intentions; Street, street/strip or all
out strip? That really will dictate what to do with the
engine. Several guys on here can tell you combo's ,
BJR racing, moper and 383man off the top of my head
I can think of.
But they will need to know all about your intentions
and type of vehicle you would put the engine in.
CudaJ

Well this motor will never see the street again. This motor will be used for Mud Bog Competitions and will probably be put into my 1979 J20 since bth the 383 and AMC 360 look similar and we have to run "Stock" class. The 360 is on its last legs and the 383 is the next good choice since we dont have a 401 yet or another 360.

If you plan on rebuilding it for mud-bog competition, go to 440source.com they sell the 496 stroker kit for a 383 (for super cheap!) and it will put adequate torque to what you need, and if you are mud-bogging you will be running some ridiculously low gears and a 496 will wind forever without running out of breath for your application.

If you want the 383 to even look remotely similar to the AMC 360 then you definetly don't want hemi heads on it.

Chuck

-
Back