383 Red Line

-
if it's really stock……. You probably don't need to rev it past 5500……. Not that you can't, you can wind it higher but power is falling off at this point.

UMm, sorry guys, but if you're running the 383TTA motor as unearthed in the thread "383 true or false" I was just reading above, you can push these motors to 12g!!! And the cops LOVE it too!!! You gotta read that one, it's hilarious!!! Seriously though, the power band of a stock 383 Magnum motor from 69 would be about 2800 through 4,500 or so. I'm with demon and 68 formula, no need to go higher, unless you're lookin to rebuild!!! Geof

Geof, what are you doing on the site , you are supposed to be shoveling snow lol

Geof, what are you doing on the site , you are supposed to be shoveling snow lol

Hey Jim, whats happening?? I am stuck at home, Ian just got out of the hospital last night, Nella is sick in bed and Wendy is working 9 to 9 today, HELP!!!! At least I got the Martin to pick on and plenty of friends here on FABO to keep me company, but I'm going stir crazy. And I'm not shovelin' till I'm stuck!!! I hope you don't have to come up for Christmas, it's snowing here right now, but I'll bet it's clear down there, huh?? Have a Merry Christmas and keep the spirit of Christmas with you all year!!! Geof

Yup, stamped steel rockers, hydraulic lifters and single springs = valve float anytime after 5800 RPM.

Hmmm...

My 1969 383 with Crane stamped (adjust) rockers, Isky Hydraulic lifters and single spring revvs past 6500 RPM with no apparent valve Float..

Hmmm...

My 1969 383 with Crane stamped (adjust) rockers, Isky Hydraulic lifters and single spring revvs past 6500 RPM with no apparent valve Float..

Yes we know…. With non stock parts you can make them rev higher but that is not what this thread is about.

If you were running a stock cam with stock springs 6500 would be pointless.

my dad bought a 70 challenger new in late 69 - 383 4 speed and he still has it with 114,000 miles on it -

He has shifted it at 5500 for all those years - said it et's the best with that as his shift point. all stock.

A 383 is a big bore/short stroke, big block, but will rev fast like a small block due to their short 3.38 stroke. In comparison, the 273-340 smallblocks run 3.31 strokes. Like the guys here have mentioned, the stamped steel rockers and low pressure valve springs that come on the engine limit it`s capabilities. I`ve had a lot of 383`s and the 4 barrel versions seem to be good to about 6000 rpm without much ado. With an upgraded valvetrain the 383`s can rev in the upper 6000 range without doing much to the bottom end. If you plan on having your 383 redline on a regular basis it would behoove you to upgrade the valvetrain.

-
Back