383 Wicked build up

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
Well being a 440 guy I don't know much about 383's. My buddy has his shortblock done and it has 11.5:1 forged pistons with a stock crank. he just got a killer deal on some Mopar Stage VI aluminum heads that came off of a 451 low-deck motor than ran 10.3 N/A. He is going to pair them with a very agressive solid roller cam. I told him be prepared to shift at 7,500rpm and I don't know if the crank will last. He is going to run a 5,000-5,200 stall converter. Sounds like a time bomb to me. What do you guys think?

Well being a 440 guy I don't know much about 383's. My buddy has his shortblock done and it has 11.5:1 forged pistons with a stock crank. he just got a killer deal on some Mopar Stage VI aluminum heads that came off of a 451 low-deck motor than ran 10.3 N/A. He is going to pair them with a very agressive solid roller cam. I told him be prepared to shift at 7,500rpm and I don't know if the crank will last. He is going to run a 5,000-5,200 stall converter. Sounds like a time bomb to me. What do you guys think?

7500 on a stock crank and stock bottom end, don't stand to close. Needs an upgraded crank and rods and stud girdle at least that's what I'd do.

Crank will probably be ok,I would worry about the valve train and bearings. I've heard of people taking stock rod/crank 383 past 7k no problem. Remember your piston velocity is lower in a 383 when compared to a 440 at the same RPM due to shorter stroke.

-
Back