392 & 8hp70 65 Valiant

-
Never mind, that won’t work for you unless you go all the way through that upper shock mount panel. I removed mine when I did the 4 link.

Never mind, that won’t work for you unless you go all the way through that upper shock mount panel. I removed mine when I did the 4 link.
Oh interesting, you removed the panel on the bottom side of the floor pan? That’s a good idea, I was going to come straight off the pump through that area but I don’t think a standard bulkhead will be long enough. I’d love to do a rear 4 link but this project is getting crazy enough as it is. Lol I think I’m going to run along the back of the tank and up the right rail to a bulkhead kinda outlined here. This pump is Holley’s returnless system. It’s got a fuel pressure regulator in the housing of the pump module so there’s no need for a return line thankfully. Just one line out and a vent.

IMG_3169.jpeg

I think you’ll still hit that shock mount panel in that location. I’m pretty sure it stretches the width of the frame rails. What if you rotate your tank 180 and run your bulkhead through the trunk floor and then follow the inside of the driver’s side frame rail?

In theory, a late model motor running EFI should see a fair bit less wear than a similar aged 440 or 360. Just look at all the Magnum motors people pull apart at 200K+ miles that still show crosshatching. Add roller lifters (assuming they don't fail early) and timing chain tensioners and I would expect a G3 to be in way better shape than a 440 pulled out of a Roadrunner in '73. Doesn't mean there aren't failures, only that they have some advantages to a carb'ed motor from the earlier '70's.

Not saying they shouldn't be check. Just that I'm not sure it is like buying a used 440 or 360.
I went with my son when he bought a used K24 engine for his old Honda he wanted to swap in. Seller had 25 or so of those engines on hand in a warehouse. Seller hooked up starter pulled plugs and did a compression test while we watched and before we paid. Every cylinder showed excellent compression and engine ran like new once installed. And since we were there in person we got to pick the cleanest of the bunch they had on hand. The dirtiest of the engine lot was on a pallet to be shipped to someone out of state. While the cleaner ones that appeared to be lower mileage got sold to the local ppl who got to inspect and did cash and carry.

When I was in market for a late model engine for another car a local yard would provide the VIN stamped into the engine. I would run a CarFax and verify yep car was wrecked and yep it was low mile. Sometimes if dealer maintained car records of oil changes. So consider that too. Was not able to do that on the K24 Honda engine because it was imported from Japan no CarFax.

With the exception of wiring the fuel pump and sending unit the fuel system is done. Well up to the firewall that is. I’ll place the engine and finish up that connection once it comes back from the builder. I welded in a front and rear tank support from one frame rail to the other to help support the tank. Another task checked off the list!

IMG_3257.jpeg

IMG_3277.jpeg

IMG_3278.jpeg

IMG_3287.jpeg

IMG_3383.jpeg

IMG_3386.jpeg

I guess the one interesting part is going to be the exhaust, i have built a couple of 65's not a lot of room down there.

I guess the one interesting part is going to be the exhaust, i have built a couple of 65's not a lot of room down there.
You’re right, and I want to run full exhaust so I’ll probably do a rear four link to take care of a few issues at hand.

You're doing some really nice looking work! I wish I was half as good. I like the fuel cell idea. Kinda "Mustangish" how the top of the tank will be the trunk floor. Really clean job.

You're doing some really nice looking work! I wish I was half as good. I like the fuel cell idea. Kinda "Mustangish" how the top of the tank will be the trunk floor. Really clean job.
Thank you, having had this car since 2005 I’ve done the “slapped together for now, to get it going” many times than I care to mention. I made the decision that it doesn’t matter how long it will take I don’t want to cut any corners and do any of the same familiar “I’ll just do this for now till I can do it right” bad decisions. Yes the tank started as a mustang tank in its place, I didn’t like how it was going and fitting so I adjusted it a little for a little more fuel capacity and wanted the top of the tank to be as flush and sleek in the trunk as possible. I’m pretty happy with how it’s turned out.

Got the fuel pump and sending unit all wired up and routed. The main power wire to the bulkhead just need to fasten it down and the trunk portion should be done with a little bit of clean up.

The RMS 4 link showed up and put that in and tack welded into place. I decided to do this for a couple reasons. As mentioned I want to run full exhaust on this car and center the wheel in the wheel well. As well as all the other benefits and adjustability the kit offers.

Also got the steering all wrapped up, not sure I’m in love with the steering wheel. Anyone have any experience with the Eddie Motorsports Steering Wheels?

IMG_3933.jpeg

IMG_3924.jpeg

IMG_3925.jpeg

IMG_3913.jpeg

IMG_3935.jpeg

IMG_3936.jpeg

-
Back