392 or 6.1

-

Stew4706

Reaction score
I found a screaming deal on a 2012 392 with the accessories and the PCM. As I understand only Arrow and Arrington have aftermarket PCMs. I know FASTand AEM have Solutions for the 6.1.

I am planning a transplant into a 67 Barracuda.

Suggestions?

Yeah, as long as you have the PCM you should be golden. Even if you don't, modern muscle has what you need.

I think the 6.4 392 is superior in every way to the 6.1. Only thing is that tuning is a little more involved. But it's by no means a deal stopper. With headers and free flowing exhaust, the 6.4 should make close to 500 hp at the crank. Will be aot of fun in an abody.

As I understand it...there's a lot less aftermarket hot rodding gear for the 392.....not even sure if they have aftermarket cams for them yet?

There are several cams from Comp and others. The comp cams are showing big gains. And as time passes there are sure to be more aftermarket support available.

22 more cubic inches
Better flowing heads
Stoughter block
Variable valve timing (good for more low end torque as well as top end power)
Variable runner intake (good for more low end torque as well as top end power)

What's not to like?

If you found a killer deal, it's likely a no brainer. However, you're ultimate goal with the car will determine whether it was the best way to go. Stock 6.1 vs. stock 6.4, the 6.4s are definately a better engine for the heavy late model cars, especially if you don't plan a lot of mods. However, the extra technology of the VVT and VIRs makes it a lot more difficult to "hot rod".

While I've seen Chrysler documentation stating the 6.1 block is beefed up over the 5.7 block, I've never seen anything like that saying the 6.4 block is better than the 6.1. Plus, the 6.4 timing setup is pretty wimpy (just like the '09 up 5.7) and there's been numerous problems with the 5.7s now that they have some mileage on them. A gal in our Challenger club had her chain break cruising down the freeway and take out the whole engine at 60,000 miles. Luckily it was covered under warranty.

The bottom line of my opinion is, if you'll be happy with the engine in relatively stock form, the 6.4 should be awesome in your Cuda. If you're going to want to hot rod it and build it up a bit, you should get a 6.1. P.S., if it's a super deal on the 6.4, you could get it and then work out a trade on a 6.1 and some cash.

Any idea the best place to get a 2012 PCM flashed. I was told by hotwire that a 2012+ PCM will not work.

Really! at the end of the day get a 5.7 and go nuts. The 6.4 is really a 5.7 same block . its a stroked 5.7. The 6.1 has many more options for doing lot of mods!

Really! at the end of the day get a 5.7 and go nuts. The 6.4 is really a 5.7 same block . its a stroked 5.7. The 6.1 has many more options for doing lot of mods!

Wrong, 6.4 is not a 5.7. It has a standard bore of 4.09" with a 3.72" stroke. A 5.7 is like 3.96" bore with a 3.58 stroke. A 6.4 also has a forged crank and oil squiters just like a 6.1. 6.4 is a BAMF....

-
Back