392 Wiw?

-

74duster

Reaction score
Going to look at a 392 hemi with trans. It supposedly runs good, and I'm assuming that it's a survivor or an older rebuild. What do you think it's worth?

Depending on it's condition, anywhere from a couple of hundred to rebuilt - $6000 and up. Even if the the block is no good the internal parts (crank, rods, pistons, rockers, heads, etc) can be worth quite a bit. I've got a completely rebuilt 392 sitting on the stand and was offered $4500 but that was before the economy tanked.

Thanks for the response dartman, I was starting to think that I had asked a taboo question or something.
I know the market is changing, and it's difficult for anyone to know exactly where anything is valued on the market. I am just hoping for a few suggestions or guesses so that when I see it I will at least have an idea of what it's worth.
Thanks,
Rob

it's worth what you and the seller agree upon , not a penny more or less , the seller decides how bad he wants to sell it and you decide how bad you want to buy it .

are you buying it to use or to flip ?

just make sure it is a 392.. most claim they are and they are not... they made dozens of different ones, dodge, chrysler, and desoto all had non interchangeable versions

Yes, I suggest to take a look at Performance Automotive Warehouse (PAW). they have a dedicated early hemi catalog, that goes into how to tell a 354 from a 392, from a 331. If it's a 354 or 392 then go for it, I'd stay away from the 331. Before you go forking out cash for one of these old gems, look into what paw sells.

Mike

-
Back