3D Printing 'Unicorn' plastic parts

-

Keith McIntyre

Reaction score
While restifying my Scamp, there we some pieces and parts that I couldn't find, or the ones I found weren't quite what I wanted (i.e. the air didn't blow in the direction that I desired. Maybe you want a custom shifter handle, or you're missing that one little plastic knob or slider?

3D printing can save your A$$. I logged in to send a link for my Scamp to a prospective painter and simce I was in the middle of creating a new 3D model for the latest model of our product. Thy're not ready yet but if you use Growlers, keep an eye out for Growler WerX (with an X). OK back to car stuff. It occurred to me that I could print those parts that I had a hard time finding. Examples include air vents, replacement segments for that missing pieces in my grill, knobs and levers, including custom pieces. Basically, if it will fit in a 5x5x6 box, it can be printed.

So quit fretting and bi***ing and find someone with 3D modeling software and an SLA 3D printer like the Form 2 or Fuse 1 and get your part. I recommend that you not consider a FDM printer, the quality of the final product just isn't there. Look up the terms and get yourself some custom parts. It won't be cheap, but you can get what you need. I've uploaded a pic of a part that I designed. I printed and installed yesterday. It has nothing to do with cars, but it's illustrative, and 'pretty' P.S. That's not the real color, but it illustrates the different parts. There are a number of people out there who have a Form 2 printer, do a little research and put the finishing touch(es) on your rude.
Strap.jpg

My buddy had a Mazda pick up that he wanted to sell. It was clean as all get out but was missing the eject button on the tape deck. His son printed it out and damm if it didn't look like it came from the factory.

-
Back