3rd member

-

Gator

Mopar or No Car
Reaction score
Ok guys I have a question. I am running a 9" Ford rear end with a 3.89 posi gear ratio . I was looking for a lower ratio gear set say 3.70 I found one and asked the company if this was a posi rear end and he told me they, as in their company, dont make posi they only make solid spools. So my question is what is a solid spool compared to a posi?
Thanks

Ok guys I have a question. I am running a 9" Ford rear end with a 3.89 posi gear ratio . I was looking for a lower ratio gear set say 3.70 I found one and asked the company if this was a posi rear end and he told me they, as in their company, dont make posi they only make solid spools. So my question is what is a solid spool compared to a posi?
Thanks

A posi/suregrip/limited slip rear end still has the differential inside so that the rear wheels can turn at different speeds like they need to when going around a corner. Solid spools contain no differential, basically its a solid axle from tire to tire and makes going around corners a little tricky since the tires themselves must slip on the pavement. Talk to these guys, if your "posi" and diff. are good you only have to change the pinion and crown gear which come in a set.

http://www.richmondgear.com/07pdfs/RG8.pdf

A posi/suregrip/limited slip rear end still has the differential inside so that the rear wheels can turn at different speeds like they need to when going around a corner. Solid spools contain no differential, basically its a solid axle from tire to tire and makes going around corners a little tricky since the tires themselves must slip on the pavement. Talk to these guys, if your "posi" and diff. are good you only have to change the pinion and crown gear which come in a set.

http://www.richmondgear.com/07pdfs/RG8.pdf
ok Thanks demon

Driving on the street with a spool is not fun. I've had a couple of 4wds with spools (and Lincoln lockers, ugh) and even with the front hubs unlocked like a 2wd, they were jerky, noisy and scary at speed. It also increases your turn radius. Even a good locker or posi can be a little hairy when wet, but nothing like a spool.

-
Back