4.2 lever change

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
360 & pretty much stock 904. on the track I'm in 3rd at pretty much a cruise till they drop the green flag. It has been suggested that I go to a 4.2 lever. I will be going in the pan to adj the line psi & I am wondering how involved it is to swap it out. thank you for your time. RR

Will you be doing it in the car? If so, it can be done but it's a little tricky to get the pipe plug out with the converter in the way. A 1/4" wobble extension can get it done, then you just have to work the shaft out through the bottom of the case enough to pull the lever. Just don't forget to put sealant on the plug when you put it back.

What are you trying to accomplish and what lever is in there now

I looked at doing it in the car but felt it would be a nightmare and ***** to do on my 727.

I’m a little confused as to your original post, are you referring to drag racing or road racing? I’m guessing you want the car to hold more rpm between shifts? And are referring to the 1/8th or 1/4 mile?

I ask because if you have a stock 904 you may want to try the 3.8 lever first as an upgrade. The stock ones I thing are like 2.7 or lower even.

If you really want to go nuts I do have a 5.0 lever I’d sell.

Looks like he already had his mind made up to use the 4.2 lever. He has been on and never bothered to reply to these other questions. I hate it when ppl ask for help then never reply back. Kim

I just did a 46RE, surprised it originally had a 2.5.
I was surprised they went that low.
. someone here sent me (I think it was)a 3.2
Maybe a 3.8? I was thinking about a 3.8 or a 4.2. but a 3.2 even I would think would be noticeable, being a factor of 1/3 more than the original one was..... Daily driver 4wd mostly driven by my wife, sometimes I tow the camper with it.... I was thinking 5.0 would be too much but I don't know a lot about exactly what a ratio change there really means

Doesn’t the band lever correspond with how many springs are used? For example 4.2 15 clutch springs 3.8 10 or 12 springs etc.

I would be inclined to change linkage adjustments first, then check fluid pressure and maybe turn it up, it could also be the governor weights. I rebuilt my 727 with a bolt in sprag, 3.8 lever and 12 springs, new clutches, steels, and seals. I should have replaced the RV govenerweights. It’s on my to do list down the road something around 5600-5800rpm so it holds the gear longer. The RV ones shift way too soon. Not sure what the weight is on those.

Doesn’t the band lever correspond with how many springs are used? For example 4.2 15 clutch springs 3.8 10 or 12 springs etc.
Oh, you mean there's more to consider than just a lever change? Like shift timing & shift overlap??? Why do you always have to pee in RR's Wheaties??? :lol:

The higher the ratio, the more apply torque the lever exerts on the band. U need less turns adjust it to. 5.0 = 1.5 turns. 4.2=1.75 turns. 3.8=2turns 3.2=2.25 turns. 2.9=2.5 turns. This is not written in stone as front clutch clearance and the number of springs in it also play a factor in determining the number of turns. This is my experience. The reason the higher the ratio number the farther the lever has to go to apply. Kim

-
Back