4.7 V8 swap?

-
I found out they can't be bored out the hard way. Snapped a rod in an 01 grand cherokee with 150K off-roading. Had to replace the motor.

I used to be a Chrysler/Jeep light-line tech before I went back to school, we had a 4.7 grand cherokee that once or twice a year it would come in for loosing coolant without any signs (leaks or coolant in oil) come to find out 3 years old, the motor was so well machined that from the factory they forgot to install a right side head gasket and the motor had no compression loss or vacuum leaks. Only the coolant would eventually make it to the exhaust port and evaporate off. Pretty cool lil motor, i'd love to do one If I had one, who says you need aftermarket parts, cool 4 speed od trans v8 cruiser would be nice. Dependable and very drivable!

They are a great little motor. I had one in my 2002 Ram, and now one in my 2007 Dakota. The current one makes a little over 200RWHP on the dyno with a few bolt on mods (ported TB, true dual exhaust, CAI, Superchips) and gets 25mpg on road trips. Fylwheel HP should be about 260 (rated 220hp as a flex fuel motor).

While it is not a "powerful" motor, it would be interesting to put it in a small Dart 2 dr. with a nice 5 or 6 spd behind it....the 4.7 just loves to rev. The biggest issue I see is that the 4.7 is a tall motor being OHC. It might not fit under the hood of car.

Interesting note: Startech in Germany built a stroker version around 2000 to put in their Jeeps. It was a 5.5L that made 285hp and 358 ft/lbs of torque (back when the 4.7 was 220hp/290 ft/lbs in Europe).

Just imagine if you took the 08-up 4.7 and worked it in to a 5.5L?

i don't get it! i came here to read about "new hemi hemi swaps" instead we are having a "general discussion" about "smallblock tech"

Well, that WAS the title of the thread.

Really, I read about all the issues with putting a Gen III Hemi in an A-body and wonder why people do it....seems like a total PITA just to say "yeah, It's got a Hemi" ..........

Really, I read about all the issues with putting a Gen III Hemi in an A-body and wonder why people do it....seems like a total PITA just to say "yeah, It's got a Hemi" ..........

Seems well worth the pain to be able to say "Yeah, it's got a Hemi"

To me, IMO, a 4.7 swap into anything vintage seems like more of a PITA than it could possibly be worth. They seem so limited and unsupported by the aftermarket. But, if that is what one has his heart set on, I say figure it out and do it. I enjoy seeing inovation and desire conquer naysayers.

The new hemi has vastly more performance potential than any 4.7. Yea it may cost more than a 360-408 build & swap. But there are a ton of those. Maybe a few hundred 3rd gen Hemi A-bodies. So the 5.7-6.1's get the nod for uniqueness and cool factor. To me at least.

8) When mine is done, I'll be proud to say, " Yea, it's got a Hemi in it."

I`ve got a 2000 Durango 4x4 with the 4.7L, ran it once at the 1/8 mile strip here it ran 10.7 spining the one 31" tire. My buddy with a monte carlo SS ran a 10.6.....he sold it not long after. Only problems have been the exhaust studs rotting off and I guess it sounds like it may need a timing set. 130000 miles.

@oneway71- Please let us/me know how you make out with the timing set.

Both the 4.7 and 5.7 are a pain to get in to an A-body, but as already noted the Hemi at least has some support out there in the aftermarket. Having watched my buddy go through a 5.7 EFI crate swap in his 67 Barracuda, I'm no more convinced of doing a 5.7 over a 4.7 at this point. I'd be interested to see how well a 4.7 would fit in an A-body. I think it would be OK, I can't imagine that even with the tall SOHC cam covers it would be as tall as a big block, and we all know those fit well enough. Again, partly due to aftermarket and factory parts/support.

Would love some day to get an +08 4.7L and a medium sized turbo under the hood of my Valiant. Light weight, good on gas without boost, and big block power with boost.

Clair

I'm not saying I would bother putting a 4.7L in an A-body...just saying it would be different, much the way a nice slant 6 gets attention.

I don't think it would even fit...there are deck height issues. 4.7L is a very tall engine.

I guess in my world power is power, and money is money. The A/Magnum engines make the power just fine and my money is not worth a catch phrase.

But that is just the world according to me.:cheers:

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday - success is about as good a marketing ploy as it gets. :-D

Clair

I'm not saying I would bother putting a 4.7L in an A-body...just saying it would be different, much the way a nice slant 6 gets attention.

I don't think it would even fit...there are deck height issues. 4.7L is a very tall engine.

I guess in my world power is power, and money is money. The A/Magnum engines make the power just fine and my money is not worth a catch phrase.

But that is just the world according to me.:cheers:
well for me i had the motor and had a car without one. so naturally it would be cheaper to drop the hemi in the a body, than it would be to go and buy a complete turnkey anything else. so here i am and now i went nuts with it anddecided to add twin turbos,to the car as well. now to just get it up and running and life will be good. i have been messing with the hemi since they came out in 03. put my first cam in one in 05. and have not looked back. i dont see the name anymore. its just a motor to me. just like the ls motors. its a motor that makes good power that is all. the name HEMI should have stayed with the 2nd gen motors as the new noe is not really the same.

Some call it a catch phrase, some call it one of the most well known and the most feared American street engine on this side of 1964.

I guess winning is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

I don't equate the modern Gen III to the Classic Hemi of yesteryear that earned that reputation....unless someone wants to toss the new 426ci All-alluminum Gen III in their A-body..with 540hp.:-D Then you can sport a 426 badge on the side of the car.

-
Back