Not open for further replies.

Woody'sScamp

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Contact seller
Members, I need a 4-bbl kick-down rod if anyone has one. (From the carb to the throttle bracket). I've found all the other parts I need for my 2 to 4bbl conversion. It is a 1975-318, LD4B manifold & 1406 carb. I included a pic I copied from another thread I read and am using as a guide. Thanks all.

IMG_0966_zpse4szpz7t[1].jpg

what is the overall length you need? I have a few.
Brian6pac, I guess I need your help here. I'm a big time rookie and just reading a lot of threads here on FABO. I'm trying to copy the thread by FABO member(H22A4) because we both have '75 318 Scamps. I loved the way his turned out. The one on my car now with the 2-bbl carb is approx. 11 3/4". Hopefully this and the info above is enough for you to help me. Thanks, Woody

O.K. it's to long or to short ? and by how much, I will measure the ones I have and see if they will work for you.

Brian6pac, I can't tell because I haven't even started yet. The old manifold and carb are still on my engine. Just trying to buy the parts I need ahead of time. I couldn't find a new or used kick-down rod online. I found all the springs, brackets, gaskets and such I'm going to need already. I'm going to buy those new. Let me know if you come up with something you think will work. Again, I'm in no hurry.
Thanks,
Woody

Hey Woody I measured the kickdown rod and it's 10 5/8" on a diagonal from the centre of the carb stud to the where the hitch pin clip goes through the rod at the throttle bracket end.

Hey Woody I measured the kickdown rod and it's 10 5/8" on a diagonal from the centre of the carb stud to the where the hitch pin clip goes through the rod at the throttle bracket end.
Chris, are all small block stock single carb 4-bbl setups the same? Should I be asking for a 340 kick -down rod, or 360? Thanks for measuring yours for me!

I don't know were you and H22A4 are measuring from, they are adjustable so the only way to measure is screw them all the way in and measure OAL and see if they are the same, if yours is over a inch longer it might work fine. On a 2bbl the throttle is very close to the center front to back of the manifold 4bbl is in front of the center line so edelbrock seems to have the fix by adding length to the rod. Check the thread size and see what you have. You wont know for sure till you get it set up.

Chris, are all small block stock single carb 4-bbl setups the same? Should I be asking for a 340 kick -down rod, or 360? Thanks for measuring yours for me!

There shouldn't be a material difference in length between the 340 and 360 kickdown rod since the distance from the throttle bracket to the carb is the same. The distance would be different between a big block and a small block though but that's not relevant when only talking about small blocks. Some 4bbl rods don't have the threaded adjustment piece by the carb stud (like the one in that great picture) as the adjustment is made on one of the other 2 rods that make up the 3 piece linkage to the kickdown lever on the side of the transmission.

I was typically searching for "kickdown rods" or "carb rod linkage" on eBay and wasn't getting exactly what I was looking for. After a week or two of searching eBay, I told my neighbour what I was looking for and, that night, using "kick down linkage lever" he forwarded to me the exact rod/auction I was looking for but never came across with my word search.

Last edited:

Either of these would work if Woody's existing 2bbl rod has a threaded end on it (similar to the one in the photo in his original post above). Not all do. If his 2bbl rod doesn't have a threaded end, it will require metal work to make threads on his existing rod to use those adaptor pieces. I looked at those adapters as well but the need to buy/borrow a tap and die kit to put threads on mine non threaded 2bbl rod had me looking for a rod with threads on it already.

Either of these would work if Woody's existing 2bbl rod has a threaded end on it (similar to the one in the photo in his original post above). Not all do. If his 2bbl rod doesn't have a threaded end, it will require metal work to make threads on his existing rod to use those adaptor pieces. I looked at those adapters as well but the need to buy/borrow a tap and die kit to put threads on mine non threaded 2bbl rod had me looking for a rod with threads on it already.

My 2bbl rod does not have a threaded end, so I guess for now I'll keep looking for a (4bbl or 2bbl) one that does. I'm in uncharted territory here, so I'm following H22A's thread as close as I can. Chris thanks for the inspiration and thanks to all of you who answered. May taxes didn't go so well today, so this project might be set back a few months.

I placed my 2bbl kickdown rod where it would fit had I not found a 4bbl rod and snapped a few pictures. As you can tell the geometry is quite different. The threaded extender mentioned in this thread would help reach the location of the stud but as you can see from the birds eye view photo, the rod would have to be bent outwards to match up to the 1406 Chrysler adaptor.

IMG_0799_zpspfht9hfc.jpg

IMG_0800_zpsy4cb2ob1.jpg

IMG_1696_zpsurq0g44r.jpg

Last edited:
Woody's scamp do you have a pic of your 2 bbl rod because the one that is in the picture belmateo has and the one H22A4 has look quite different ?

IMG_0800_zpsy4cb2ob1.jpg
I think the rod belmateo posted is a 4bbl rod since it has the outward bend in it. Not all rods (2 or 4bbl) had the threaded end as the adjustment was made to another rod on the three piece linkage.

Woody's scamp do you have a pic of your 2 bbl rod because the one that is in the picture belmateo has and the one H22A4 has look quite different ?
Here's a couple pics I took when I started. My 2bbl rod looks a lot like H22A4's.(Thanks Chris for the pics!) I think belmateo's 4bbl rod would work my me. Just got to figure out where to adjust? What does everybody think? Thanks again guys.

Carb Front (1).JPG

Engine (7).JPG

Driver's side (7).JPG

i just cut the rod and welded a one inch bolt to extended grinded it all down to make it look nice works great ill tell you one thing having the correct rod makes a hell of a difference

This is the closest one I have, let me know if it will work for you.

View attachment 1715034254

View attachment 1715034255
Belmateo, thanks for the pics! I think yours will work for me but, because I'm not a skilled mechanic yet, I want to keep looking for one with an adjustment. The simpler the better for me right now, but I may PM you back in a couple of weeks looking to buy yours. Ok?

Welcome, it is not going anywhere soon. You should check your other two arms (one behind the motor and one going to the transmision) each of those should have adjustments on them.

Welcome, it is not going anywhere soon. You should check your other two arms (one behind the motor and one going to the transmision) each of those should have adjustments on them.
Belmateo, I checked, it's the bottom one. Oh joy, I'm learning so much! I'll continue to look for one with the adjustment up top and then I'll get back to you. My mechanic at work said he would be willing to look at my 2-bbl rod and also all the pics in this post. I hit you back either way in a couple of weeks? Thanks, Woody

Thottle Linkage (3)_LI.jpg

I hear ya, LOL
Some days chickens, some days feathers.
Belmateo,
After much thought, reading many threads and searching the internet, I have decided to go the simplest route for me and buy a Bouchillon kick down cable for my conversion to a 4 -bbl. I think this is something I can handle, and everything I've read says it's pretty much full proof. I known your kick down lever would work, so maybe if I ever want that "stock" look I'll hit you up again. Thanks again for helping a rookie figure this stuff out.

Woody

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back