4 Bolt mains? what ya opinion

-

chuckwagon2004

71 dartswinger
Reaction score
Ok guys I am about to drop some money on a couple of 340 blocks and some other goodies.... I havent heard a whole lot on here about splayed 4 bolt mains. Anyone done this and is there anything I need to look at when going to get these blocks. The mains are aluminum and I will post a pic or two of the 4 bolt block... Also of some rods I am trying to fig out the details on.

Attachments

• 340s.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 253
  • 340t.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 340h.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 255
I do know the rods are stock length and as far as I know they have original specs. I will be home in 2 weeks and this will be my first road trip once I am home. If anyone is looking for a specific part let me know. I can try to help out as much as possible depending on the price:D Comments are welcome!!!

There was a thread a kittle while back talking about 4 bolt mains on stock blocks. Try to search if you did not already. Most opinions preferred not using 4 bolt main on stock blocks as it was felt the drilling weakened the block more that the caps offered in strength. The preference was to stud the block or use a girdle like the one offered by Hughes. TA 340 blocks, X blocks and the newer R series and 340 rest blocks have more material in the main web and oil pan rail and this provides enough meat to install 4 bolt mains.

What 340 blocks do you have?

i used splayed caps along time ago in nascar southwest tour car had no problems way to go for sure. they weren't aluminium though, never heard that before... i dont like aluminium rods on the street dont know what your intentions are but good luck

I have found this guy with a ton of parts and a few 340 blocks. I know I'm going to try and get a couple of the blocks. And a center section for the 8 3/4".. Those rods look aluminum to you guys? I wish I was at home!!!! I am ready to go parts shopping

I havent seen aluminum caps on LAs before. It's more common now with big blocks because they help the blocks live with higher compression. They act like a shock absorber in terms of harmonics. As far as aluminum on the street.. I don't see a need for them, but some guys do run them with no issues. I suppose if a car was not to be run more than a couple thousand miles a summer, aluminum rods might not be as big a deal as you might think. But you have to really think about it IMO.

Thanks for the info guys. I might pick up the aluminum rods if anything just to hangem on the wall... LMAO I'm hoping to come away with 2 blocks a set of heads and a center section (sure grip) 3.91 gears. Also a few odd and end pieces after market oil pan and he also has a few intakes etc.

-
Back