4" Bolt Pattern 10" Brake Drums

-

65_Dart_GT

Reaction score
Looking desperately for a set of brake drums for 65 Dart GT
The Rear drums are for 10" brakes and having a tuff time finding supply.
Not even sure I am asking the correct way. I do get told from suppliers that the car should have 9" according to the catalog they use and I try to convince them that it is indeed 10" brakes. I have a set of 9's from my donor car so I know for sure 9 is not what I am looking for.

Help much appreciated!

I'm not finding anything but 9" listings. That doesn't mean that it had to come with 9" brakes; it could mean that no one makes the 10" drums any more. To support this hypothesis, I do see 10x 1.75" shoes being offered for that year. I would guess that 10" drums were offered, you have them, and no one is still making them.

Is it for sure the original axle in the car? I've swapped axles and rear brakes in a bunch of cars, myself. What axle does the car have installed in it now? If it's an 8.75" axle, you might be able to swap on a later backing plate / brake / drum setup from a later (67-72) car and have a bit more common parts to deal with. Even if it's a 7.25" axle, you might be able to do the same. I'm not familiar with the pre-67 stuff, so I'm just throwing out ideas.

thanks for the reply damnimcooltom, I have thought that changing out the axle might end up being the end game. Near as I can see the 7.25 is the axle. as of this writing there is a pair of drums expected to be delivered shortly and if they end up being correct, I will post and advise. I am learning that patience is necessary (2 weeks later). It is the journey and not the destination that is the most fun ... right? : )

My 66 dart gt had the 10" drums on the front and the rear also.look for newer versions of them and you will need the hardware kits and the brake shoes to match......the backing plates are the same except 64 and earlier

If you see my post at http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/394/2431.html you'll notice I said it took a couple of tries to get the right parts.

The part number listed at that link on the Early Abody Forum is correct, but Napa and whoever else has errors in their computer and they don't know what they are doing.

The drums are out there but you have to be diligent and patient to get them.

When I worked at a parts store, I always used paper catalogs. They are more helpful and accurate than the computers. Wagner usually had more selection when it came to older cars, but now that they are owned by Federal Mogul, I'm not sure what the company is like any more.

Have you tried telling them you have a 69dart/barracuda? They might have that part --which should be the same as the one you are seeking,Lawrence

ive found a mopar nut at one of the napa stores around here and hes a area manager...better yet he knows the great jim buckmaster, it pays to know people! glad youve found what youve needed...people dont give us enough credit for how much work we put into these things!

-
Back