4 brl intake options

-

dmopar74

Reaction score
ok so i have a brand new edelbrock 600cfm quad sitting around and a stock 225 /6. would i be able to run this carb on a stock engine or is it too big? and what intakes can i buy for it? so far i can think of offy and clifford.

The 600 will need to be jetted way down.You would also need a strip kit with springs and rods,plus a bunch of tunning to get it to run right.

I run a Edel 500 on my slant,with a Clifford intake/headers. Got a strip kit and tuned the 500 in.

Intakes-Clifford or Offy
Carb-Holley 390 or Ede 500
Headers-Clifford

Or you can go the 2bbl route.
Chrysler 2bbl intake
Carb-Carter BBD

Picture 264.jpg

already sounds like a bad idea. is the super 6 intake the only 2brl intake there is, or are there any good aftermarket ones?

im just looking to upgrade power some without loosing the gas mileage. the engine runs like a raped ape for completely stock. i was thinking carb, intake, cam, exhaust for upgrades without going too crazy right away.

A 600 cfm carb is going to be way to big for a stock slant 6, even a fairly heavily modified one the 600 is going to be on the big. Also, its not as simple as just rejetting, the throttle reponse is going to be very poor and the driveability will be seriousle impacted.

A Holley 390 is about the perfect size 4bbl for a \6 for stock to mildly modified.

There were two different 2bbl manifolds from the factory. One was a two piece welded aluminum piece that had a lot of porosity issues and should be avoided. Then there is the 2bbl cast itorn piece that is the one you want if sticking with factory parts. Mopar Performance had a M1 2bbl cast aluminum intake that is no longer made but may be found on ebay or a swap meet. The Clifford can be either a 2bbl or 4bbl depending on which carb plate you put on it.

Note: only the factory intakes and the Offy 4bbl intake can be used with a stock exhaust manifold. The others don't have provisions to seal the exhaust mainfold to the bottom of them. With those you will need to use headers or two Dutra Dual manifolds.

As these guys have already stated the 600cfm carb. is going to be way to much. We are a clifford dealer. I already have the headers on our website and I will be adding the intakes,carbs, and cams all this week. If we can help you please feel free to call us.

Jeff

360 scamp, hows the throttle response with the 390? did you loose any mpg with that setup, that is if you drive "nicely".

lol, wish I knew. The car is still on the jack stands. It's been almost 4 years since we started the rebuild.

I just bought a offy 4bbl...does anyone know the part number for the holley 390 carb?

360 scamp, hows the throttle response with the 390? did you loose any mpg with that setup, that is if you drive "nicely".

When I had the 390, offy, headers, dual exhaust, A833OD and 3.55 gears the car actually got better mpg than it did with the stock 1bbl motor, 3-on-the-tree and 3.23 gears. I would get 22-23 on the hiway and 19-20 around town.

Should be 8007 if I remember right.

You are right 360scamp!! I talked to a carb man at the swap meat and he said the list #will be 8007 and 8006 for the 390 holley.

I have run a 390 Holley for years. I really like the 8007. I tried it back to back on the same day against a strip kitted 500 Eddy and it blew the Eddy away by a full tenth.

I also have a 390 NASCAR truck double pumper that works pretty well too.

I have a 600 DP on mine now. It runs a little better than the 390 N/A, but is virtually identical in performance when I spray.

-
Back