4-Piston Calipers

-

Drg racr

Reaction score
I'm still learning about A-body Mopars.:blob:
My 69 Barracuda has the 4-piston caliper disc brakes in the front. Was this available on all v8 packages or just hi-perf. cars?
The car has the 8-3/4 rear with 10" drums, which I'm sure was not original to the car.
I'm still trying to determine if the whole k-frame has been replaced.

Kelsey Hayes 4 piston caliper, disc brakes, started life on the 65 Barracuda Formula S cars as a dealer installed option.
Then sometime in 65 that option became available on all the A body cars as a assembly line option.
That style brake system was optional on all the A body's until 1972.
Doesn't matter if the car is a Slant 6, or a V8. They all could have gotten the brakes.

The 8 3/4 rear was also offered on all packages too. I recently took in a 72 225 slant 6 4 door Valiant with a 3 speed stick and 8 3/4 posi with 323 gears. it was all original.

KH wasn't an option on 70 Dart and Duster 340 cars. It was standard.

In the case of the '66 model year, the /6 and V-8 cars were catalogued under different model numbers. The /6 cars had 9" drums unless HD brakes or disk brakes were specified. In those cases, the cars had 10" drums. All V-8 cars had 10" drums regardless of Lo-Po or Hi-Po.

I'll have to check and get back to you on how long this practice persisted.

My car was a 318 2-bbl. 904 auto from the factory, so it wasn't hi-po.

An 8 3/4 could be ordered with any package. I can't recall ever seeing an 8 3/4 with 9" drums. I have been lucky and every A-body I have owned has had 10" drums whether it was a slant 6 or a V8. Maybe that is just the way the dealers ordered them in this area because all of mine except one have been local cars all their life.

I have seen 8 3/4 behind /6 cars that was listed on the build sheet for that car before but was never enough to find one to buy.

-
Back