4 piston Kelsey hayes discs

-

ir3333

Reaction score
..what's your recommendation for pads?
..are green EBC as good as their claims?
tx guys.

I used the Summit Racing ceramic pads. New cars use ceramic instead of semi-metallic because it doesn't need to be warmed up before having good "bite". I found them very effective with no fade at track day at Willow Springs. Note that I was also using the Summit slotted crossdrilled rotors.

I'm no expert, most premium brakes should work very well. Just be honest with yourself how you intend to drive your car and go from there. Not a Racer here, basically High Performance street.

Do not buy Raybestos pads from Rockauto... I overheated mine and they glazed over within the first 100 miles or so. If I were to put them back on a different car in the future, I'd probably go with Hawk's.

I have EBC greenstuff pads on my Mustang with 4 wheel discs...they're obviously better compared to OEM pads. They do shed some brake dust, but it comes off easily compared to stock. They fade less when warm, make less noise than ceramic, and chatter less than some semi-metallics I've used. But, they do seem to wear a little faster and you really should follow the break in procedures as specified. As mentioned above, pretty much any quality premium pad will serve you well.

Organics tend to shed a ton of dust, wear is decent though and they're inexpensive. If you're planning on doing spirited driving, they can fade when hot.

Semi-metallic don't fade as much, and the dust takes some effort to get off, but they usually grip pretty damn well and fade less when heated, but they can chatter when wet or cold.

Ceramics are supposed to fade the least when hot. I just installed a set on my '05 525i...so far, they DO need to be broken in as specified on the instructions (work in heat cycles, or they can eat the rotor face faster) but they give good pedal feel and braking response. They do make noise for the first few cold stops, but after about two or three applications to a full stop, they usually quiet down to silent. I'll see how they do here in a few months when I PCS to South Dakota...not thrilled about that. But, I suspect when they're cold they'll make more noise.

I should have added, it is important to bed in the ceramic pads according to the instructions. I made sure to do that, and they have been great -- responsive, easy to feather, with massive stopping power and no fade. I haven't noticed any noise issues.

-
Back