4 row radiator

-
If heat is such a problem in this car? I'm surprised you aren't thinking about a super large trans cooler also. As most people are posting you can never go big enough. Maybe a 12 qt oil pan to finish this bad boy off. :rolleyes:

People that say there's such thing as too much cooling probably also have chevys and fords

Or maybe they've actually had a bunch of thermodynamics classes on their way to engineering degrees and actually understand how a cooling system is supposed to work.

But it's all good, run a radiator so big you have to run a tiny anemic pusher fan. I'm sure that'll work great. Hey, while you're at it throw in a giant cam to use with the stock valve springs, and run some nice wide, sticky tires with some 9" brakes. Should be a good time. :rolleyes:

There's a lot more to the cooling system than just the radiator. Running a giant radiator and a tiny fan is inefficient and counterproductive. Matched components will give the best result. You know, like running the biggest radiator you can while still leaving room for a decent sized, capable fan. That doesn't even address the fact that each additional core is less effective than the last, adding cores is a diminishing returns game. Sure, there's a gain, but a 3 core with a good fan will outperform a 4 core with a small fan. If you have the room, great, run a 4 core. If you don't (and on an early A you don't!) maximize cooling system efficiency, not just radiator size. That means having enough room to run a good, high volume fan.

You scared me so I went out and looked at mine. I also believed that extra cooling would be better, so I bought a 4-row, from Classic, for my 318, but I haven't installed it yet. So I measured the distance from the radiator mounting flange to the fins (at the fan) on the factory radiator. The distance was 2.75". On the Classic radiator, the distance was exactly the same. So more fins did NOT encroach on the distance to the fan on my replacement.

What is distance from flange to fins on both your original and new radiator? Is there that much difference? You ordered the part number that Classic recommends in their catalog. Call them and ask about it.

Your picture clearly shows that the front-to-back distance of /6 is longer than a small V8, and you have less room at the fan.

I can't comment on the transmission line fittings, because I haven't gotten there yet. Good luck.

-
Back