4 speed bearing retainer question

-

NChap55

Reaction score
HI folks. Was wondering if a 4 speed with the 4.354 size bearing retainer is ok to use behind a stock 383 or is it worth going for a trans with a 4.80 retainer? Any difference in durability and strength? Many thanks for any input. Neil

I understand that part, just was wondering if the larger 4.80 retainer was stronger or if there was a reason that it would be better than the 4.354 retainer size. Figured once I had a trans, then I would go looking for the right bellhousing. Still in the "trying to find parts" phase of this. Thanks for the response

There was a ring that came with my Scatter Shield. The ring does prove people use the smaller dia bearing retainer to go racing, so there probably isn't anything wrong with it. I bought one of these because I didn't care for the adapter ring.

Billet steel bearing retainer for 1968-69 B-body 23 spline transmissions with 307 front bearing, 4.805" outside diameter, 3.70" bolt circle, replaces cast #C97619/2892256 original retainers. Gasket and seal included.
http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?cat=81

All the bearing retainer does is provide a place for the throw out bearing to ride, provides a place for the front seal, locates the trans in the bell housing and retain the input bearing. The size of the retainer has no relation to the strength of the trans as they both use the same 307 input bearing.

Actually the larger bearing retainer is for the 308 front bearing. 383's came with both. 308 front bearings are theoretically stronger than a 307 bearing. You can get a larger bearing retainer for the 307 main case but you cannot use a small bearing retainer on a 308 main case.

-
Back