4-speed clutch problem on '65 Barracuda

-

RJG

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have a 360 with 4-speed in my '65.
While driving locally I pushed in the clutch pedal to shift and felt a clunk or pop. At that point the pedal became more difficult to depress, and I struggled to get the car into gear and limp back home. Once home I can not shift into any gear.
It doesn't grind, but it is like it is blocked from going into any gear. Visually, everything from the pedal to the fork and throw-out bearing appear to operate, and I can see the disc moving. Maybe not moving enough?
It shifts fine when engine is off, so I believe the problem in in the clutch. I expect I have to remove the trans and likely replace clutch, but was wondering if anyone has an idea as to what would cause a clutch to act that way.
As always,Thank you in advance for your knowledge. RJG

Hello All,
I have a 360 with 4-speed in my '65.
While driving locally I pushed in the clutch pedal to shift and felt a clunk or pop. At that point the pedal became more difficult to depress, and I struggled to get the car into gear and limp back home. Once home I can not shift into any gear.
It doesn't grind, but it is like it is blocked from going into any gear. Visually, everything from the pedal to the fork and throw-out bearing appear to operate, and I can see the disc moving. Maybe not moving enough?
It shifts fine when engine is off, so I believe the problem in in the clutch. I expect I have to remove the trans and likely replace clutch, but was wondering if anyone has an idea as to what would cause a clutch to act that way.
As always,Thank you in advance for your knowledge. RJG

I had a similar occurrence on my 69 340 four speed. In my case the clutch fork pivot had failed. It is held on by two bolts and is easy to replace AFTER you pull the trans. Good luck and let me know you find when you teat it apart.

I had a similar occurrence on my 69 340 four speed. In my case the clutch fork pivot had failed. It is held on by two bolts and is easy to replace AFTER you pull the trans. Good luck and let me know you find when you teat it apart.

I think I may see it now. There is a broken ring hanging loose on the throw-out bearing assembly. I think maybe the bearing is only partially moving. It appears to be a two part bearing maybe? It looks to have an inner and outer cylinder. The clutch is a diaphragm type, but the built 360 needs a stronger clutch anyway. But it will be a bear to get out.

-
Back