4 speed for a 440 1968 dart ?

-

USAJon

Maryland U.S.A.
Reaction score
Ive had a few peeps answer my post wanting a 4 speed set up for a 440 1968 Dart were building.one person had a trans..the other had a trans, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate in sericable used conditon and a lakewood belhousing with a NEW hurst shifter..but today he sateted he use two of the new shifers pads ? he told I could easy-ly buy new ones..well I have no idea what a shifter pad is so I called a local speed shop and the said the were pricey if I could get them...so being I have never put tpogether a 440 dart w/ 4 speed how is one to do it....seems like you have to build it from pieces/parts...? any thoughts...thanks!

You can buy most any part you need for this (including a shifter mounting plate, or shift rods or levers) from brewers performance.

www.brewersperformance.com

so find out eactly what he is talking about, find out how much a new one will cost and try to negotiate a price that makes it work for you (and for him to a lesser extent!). Basically buy as much as you can in a package of used parts and then you can buy what is missing either as new reproduction (or NOS) or used from Ebay, craigslist, FABO, etc. ts only money, and money spent in to a 1968 big block car is well spent!!

RacerBob , thanks for the post. if I knew what I was doing I would be good-to-go...but I have seen a few friends get so upside down on their projects ...that $$/frustration makes them sell out b4 their done...not having a garage is kinda hard to..but I agree. Always liked banging them gears be it a 4 cylinder or whatever..thanks !

I belieave that with a Lakewood bellhousing it will be a tight fit against the firewall. Not 100% sure, maybe someone could correct me if I`m wrong.

Lake Wood Bell Housing Requires Modifications To Firewall And Tunnel, But Can Use A Factory One No Prob On Bblk Dart.............

This was the items I did buy from Brewers Performance.

Since I have a 383 cid in my Barracuda you will have to check if this set up will work for a 440 cid. Internal or external balanced? Can a 130 tooth flywheel
be used on a 440?

Pay attention for the accurate bearing retainer opening 4.805 or 4.354, you will have to check this on the tranny.

BH513R-S BIG BLOCK 10.5" BELLHOUSING 1962-1974 A/B/E-BODY, 4.354" RETAINER, NEW. 130 TOOTH FLYWHEEL

AK451 CLUTCH ADJUSTER KIT A-BODY BIG BLOCK $46.95 $46.95

CF702N CLUTCH FORK 1966-UP B/E/1967-69 A BIG BLOCK/1970-4 E/1971-4 B SM/BIG BLK-NEW $89.95 $89.95

BSB271K BELLHOUSING BALLSTUD/BRACKET/SPACER KIT BIG BLOCK A- BODY 1967-69 $99.95 $99.95

Grand Total: $536.80 Delete

If you´re going with headers you`ll also need to modify or buy a new z-bar from TTI.
I`ll probably get my new z-bar from TTI next week.
I just got tired of the test and trial of used parts so I bought new parts from Brewers.

But maybe someother guy will chim in to give you the info about which used parts to go with.

man...this is a lot of info. I do not want to mod my firewall/tunnel. it's a calif no rust.

ive a `65 GT and changing it from colum shift /6 to SB 833 and Brewers has DONE this exact(well it was a Fish) so they have EVERY part and they all are correct no guessing well worth the $ /vs headache of trying to figure it all out AND they are fair$ wise plus just plain good people will answer any ? u may have with NO BS

go to bigblockdart.com and go to their tech page they have all the info on swapping a 4speed into your abody,along with what parts work and don,t work.i decided back in 1999 to swap a big block into my 69 abody dart(still not running yet.) BUT that site and this one has given infinte knowlage on the subject.they are very peaple freindly and are always willing to help,dennis

-
Back