4-speed gear oil matinence...how often should I......

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
Have a 833 trans in my Valiant, it was rebuilt 7 years ago and has about 6K miles on it. My question is when should I change the gear oil in it? I run the car hard and do grind them once in awhile LOL :D Nothing special for oil, just Valvoline is what I run in it.

Also, how often should I grease or lube up the Z-bar/bell crank bushings and any other moving parts associated with the 4-speed? This is my 1st manual trans car, thanks!! BTW, it all works fine, just curious :glasses7:

For the price of what the oil costs I would do it every year.......just cuz I could.....would be way over kill but......

For the price of what the oil costs I would do it every year.......just cuz I could.....would be way over kill but......

Xs2 ...i usually go a couple years ....also smell it and see how it looks ......but 7 years :protest: after 7 years you should change that ASAP

Xs2 ...i usually go a couple years ....also smell it and see how it looks ......but 7 years :protest: after 7 years you should change that ASAP

Oil is clean and like new, good color and smell, trans shifts nice

Oil is clean and like new, good color and smell, trans shifts nice

well 7 years is still a long time ...and it could have attracted more moisture than you might think in that time.

everytime its hot and cold there could be condensation ....after 7 years i would definately change it

well 7 years is still a long time ...and it could have attracted more moisture than you might think in that time.

everytime its hot and cold there could be condensation ....after 7 years i would definately change it

Car hides in a heated shop during the winter :glasses7:

change it, but this time use pennzoil syncromesh. comes in a yellow bottle. very good stuff. i use it in mine!

I say piss on it. Long as the oil looks clean and it shifts good.

i say if its clean ,leave it til ten thou,you know those transmissions were tough.if its got six on it now ,it could be changed at ten.along with the diff oil too....

I put Schaeffer oil in the bikes trans. It is a fluid pretty much made for Harley style transmissions. PITA to get in a quart bottle. When into the sales rep in NAPA once he said to let it go 25k milers or so. Not going to happen. Manual gearboxes I have always liked getting the fluid out of them on a regular basis, just to check for chunks of metal and what not. Sure, magnetic drain plugs will catch most if not all of them, but I still like to dump it regularly just to check. But I have more than a few goofy traits so.......

-
Back