4 Speed O/D???????

-

edison1962

Stays up late.
Reaction score
Ok guys... I've posted this in the general discussion but wanted to add it here also... I've come across a full size Dodge Van.. mid-80's in the local yard.. it has a 4 speed O/D transmisson in it. The shift pattern on the top of the stick has the usual 4 speed and to the right of 3rd gear it says.. O/D... any info or suggetions.. I'm thinking of grabbing it for when I remove my 6 cyl and go with a small block in my "A" body... any comments apprecated.. either here or to [email protected]

Thanks,
Bryan

Quite a few people use them. I am planning on using one in my 64 valiant. The later ones have a aluminum case, so one thing to think of is if you are planning on using it behind a high HP engine, there is a chance that one of the 'holes' will become oblong. (someone else can give the proper names and details about it)

It also has a large spread between 1st and 2nd gear, so it's not ideal for racing.

if you go to slantsix.org, and/or bigblockdart.com, they both have articles with lots of information on these.

Hope this helps.

I have one in my 68 Barracuda. It was behind a \6 for awhile and is now behind my 360. The 1st to 2nd jump was never much of an issue but the 2nd to 3rd was with the \6. The 360 pulls the gaps with no problems.

There are several things you must consider when installing one of these in an A-body:

First and for most there are two shifter mounts on this tranny and neither are in the right position for an A-body. I made a mounting plate from 1/2" aluminum that bolts to the rear mount and positions the shifter forward to the correct position for the A-body. also, I had to cut one of the bosses off the front mount to make clearance for the torsion bar cross memeber.

The input bearing retainer is is 5.125" in diameter on the A833OD so you will need a bell housing to match. Either find one with 5.125 hole, machine one to that diameter or purchase a bearing retainer to match the bell housing you have.

Drive shaft will need to be shortened. Also, if you are swapping from a 904 or 3spd manual you will need the larger slip yoke to fit the spline of the output shaft of the tranny.

I used the shifter from the doner pick-up with a handle that was more appropriate for a car and stock A-body shifter rods.

I have one in my 68 Barracuda. It was behind a \6 for awhile and is now behind my 360. The 1st to 2nd jump was never much of an issue but the 2nd to 3rd was with the \6. The 360 pulls the gaps with no problems.

There are several things you must consider when installing one of these in an A-body:

First and for most there are two shifter mounts on this tranny and neither are in the right position for an A-body. I made a mounting plate from 1/2" aluminum that bolts to the rear mount and positions the shifter forward to the correct position for the A-body. also, I had to cut one of the bosses off the front mount to make clearance for the torsion bar cross memeber.

The input bearing retainer is is 5.125" in diameter on the A833OD so you will need a bell housing to match. Either find one with 5.125 hole, machine one to that diameter or purchase a bearing retainer to match the bell housing you have.

Drive shaft will need to be shortened. Also, if you are swapping from a 904 or 3spd manual you will need the larger slip yoke to fit the spline of the output shaft of the tranny.

I used the shifter from the doner pick-up with a handle that was more appropriate for a car and stock A-body shifter rods.

I have one that I had in my 73 Road Runner clone behind a high po 318, worked well considering I had 3.23 rear end gear, would do up to 70 in first gear before you needed to shift if you were railin on it. I have a bellhousing for small block and a brand new 360 flywheel and brand new clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing, brand new seals n bushings n bearings, hurst shifter with stop conversion, blah, blah, blah. Any way my point being I dont need the stuff (went to auto in my dart and runner is no more not wrecked just taken apart do to chasis rust) so if you or anyone else is looking for one of these or parts there of let me know. If you do put one in either run 4.11's or better or else by a wing and ground effects because old mopars seem to wanna leave the road at around 130 mph if you hit even a slight bump or rise in the road, dont ask me how I know

-
Back