4 speed swap

-

lilvaliant

huge member
Reaction score
ok..iv'e searched the archives and still need some advice. I ran across a deal on a 4speed, its bolted up to a 67' 273 cuda..iv'e got a 67' valiant 360, 727..the owner of the cuda tells me that the 4speed was out of an early 80's something??? He thinks it will be a straight up swap because it works on his 273...my 360 is approx. a 73' and the car still has the pedals from the factory...what can i expect to run into here??? ( as far as, bellhousing, flywheel, bearing, etc. ) Thanks in advance.

I think you'll be okay with everything but the flywheel & the pilot bearing in the rear of the crank that supports the input shaft of the trans. You'll need a flywheel for a 360 (or a late 318 or 340), which is externally balanced. Your crank is probably not drilled for the pilot bearing, but I think there is an adapter bearing available to take care of it. I'm sure sombody will ring in here if I'm wrong. As to the trans being from "...an early 80's something???" it's probably from an F body (Volare or Aspen). If it is, it should fit with no problems as long as the correct bellhousing is used, since it might be an OD trans. It could also be from a truck. If it's a truck trans it will definitely be an OD trans and will have a longer tailshaft housing on it & will take a bit of work to make a shifter come out in the right place in your car.

-
Back