4 speed vs auto just some thoughts

-

WildCat

Reaction score
Just got done reading the thread on the 69 383 32K mile Barracuda and got to thinking about the comments about auto transmissions

Don't know what the numbers are 4 speed vs auto for a 69 Barracuda

But I do know that 1969 Dodge Dart GTS 383 numbers are higher for a 4 speed car than automatic making an auto car harder to find

The reason I discuss a 1969 GTS 383 auto car is because I have looked for years to find one like my brother had, (anyone that knows me is probably tired of me talking about it) for years I have found lots of 4 speed big block cars but very few auto's

Well chrysler build less than 400 autos, and just over 400 4 speed so less than 800 total 1969 GTS big block cars

How many of those cars survived, well my brother got his in 1972 and it had been wrecked bad enough to bend the dash by the ignition, (bet the driver had a bad knee after that crash if he survived) but in all the time I have been looking can not find another like it

1969 GTS 383 Auto, white, white interior (black carpet and dash) buckets with headrest and console and red GTS stripe 3.91 gear, dog dish hub caps

Now why are there less autos?

This is just a thought no proof as to why, my guess the auto was extra cost that many felt were not as fast, so they opted for the 4 speed

But for the guy that knew ordered the auto because unless you were Herb Mc Candleless or Mr. 4 Speed RONNY SOXS the autos were faster for the average driver.

On the street guys needed a 4 speed for respect, look at what we want today, 4 speed, I went as far as selling my 440 auto and putting a 340 4 speed in my Dart, but I also had a 727 that was bolted to the 340 when I removed it from a 71Demon, love my 4 speed and glad I did it. But an auto would have been better.

My shake down miles were in Detroit during the dream cruise. In my Prowler it took me 5.5 hours to go from Pontiac to 8 mile and back, in the Dart it wouldn't stay cool so I had to keep getting off woodward to cool it down but sitting in traffic it was in neutral more than in gear so I could let my leg rest....... LOL

A buddy bought a 392 SRT Challenger with an auto because it was .02 quicker in the 1/4 than the 6 speed, he finally dipped into the 11,s with it but still not as fast has his SRT4 stage 3 neon. But since he has been driving the Challenger and not had the neon on the track in a few years he couldn't get into the 11 with it last year. Said he couldn't shift it.

So as Dennis is a weekend warrior, he choose the Auto over stick for quickness. DID THIS HAPPEN IN 1969? Chrysler was known for the durability and hard to beat with a Torqueflight

For those that dismiss the value of a Automatic in the big block A Bodies, there are people out there looking for cars with auto. Many cars are bought to bring back memories. I still look everyday for the car to clone into my brothers car, you would think that since dad wouldn't let me buy it in 1974 from my brother, think he told me $900, I would give up. But still looking. I would hate to buy a 69 GTS 383 auto car then do a color change, but the right GT with buckets and console. But the automatics are very hard to come by.

There is one in Louisville area that is yellow, black vinyl top and interior that has been for sale think they were asking$35K but was told history and it has been pieced back together, looks good but complete rear clip has been changed

The is also a 19,000 mile 69 GTS 383 4 speed car that is very complete and numbers matching, lots of documentation and it was listed for $36,000 last fall. Not the best color but very nice car

So if you could go back in time, order a new car for Drag Racing, would your order a 4 speed or auto?

If you were street racing which car do you think would be quicker on the street?

Back in 69 I probably would have ordered a 4 speed, but today I want an automatic to be like the one that got away.

By the my brother traded Mike Rose his 69 GTS for a 65 Olds convertible that had been wrecked with some cash, don't remember how much, Mike had the car for a short time. Going to school one day seen the white bucket seats with factory head rest sitting by the side of the road for trash pick up and not long after that a tornado came thru the area and dropped a wall on top of the car from the garage across the street. Mike still lives in the same house, but told me he didn't have any pictures of the car when I contacted him a few years ago.

-
Back