4 Wheel Disc Oversize Opinions

-

lildemonkid

Reaction score
Who is running oversized disc brakes on their A-Body? I keep looking at large brake packages and want to know what others have and their opinions on Larger brakes.

I have the 11 3/4 " on the front and 11 X 2 1/2 drums on the rear. They work well, I live on a hill and it's nice to have the extra braking. We lose more deer to cars then hunters here. I still have the smaller caliper, and haven't decided if it's worth the effort to change to the 76 and up ones. If you can get the parts and you are going autocrossing it's probably worth it.

MuuMuu What brakes are you running? And i may not be competitive with my car but i would like to add some more braking power and i would like to autocross just for fun. plus if i run larger wheels it will fill up the wheel better.

Theres nothing like an old mopar showing some new world skills. haha.

I have Cheroke disks on the back of mine. I think they are just under 11". Seem to work great, but the car is not on the road yet just a couple of trips up and down the road to test them out.

I have Cheroke disks on the back of mine. I think they are just under 11". Seem to work great, but the car is not on the road yet just a couple of trips up and down the road to test them out.

How did you adapt these? What was the cost of this swap?

Al together it was about 300. It is only for the 8 1/4 rear. I have a thread for it let me find it. The cost was the brackets and calipers, used, new rotors, e brake shoes, e brake cables, rubber lines, pads and caliper rebuild kits. Really a bolt on just a few mods for the lines and brake cables. A 1 day job.

thats pretty awesome. I have an 8 3/4 though. I know ill be making brackets already too. i just cant see spending wilwood prices if i know how to make these things.

There was a kit on ebay I bought a while a go that said it would fit the 8 1/4. Obviously it did not. It was pretty reasonable around 450 or so. It was for the 8 3/4. It was nice all new parts, the calipers were Ford with an e brake. It was a while ago but do a search for it. If it would have fit It was a deal. Everything but the brake cables.

thats pretty awesome. I have an 8 3/4 though. I know ill be making brackets already too. i just cant see spending wilwood prices if i know how to make these things.

I wonder if you could adapt the bracket from the jeep because the backing plates for the drum brakes fit both. The 8 3/4 has an extra mounting hole. I think I have a comparison chart. If you opened up the Axel center hole and drilled the bottom hole I bet it would. I wonder if anyone here has done it. The rear it came from is a 95-01 Dana 30 with rear disks from a grand Cherokee.

Attachments

• rear housing flang.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 254
yeah, i've found a ton of kits like that. they use a lincoln caliper on a mustang rotor i believe. it works. but i know a few people with these kits. The e-brakes are unreliable and the calipers have failed a few times.

I think the kit that I returned was because the axel hole was to small and the extra hole. The jeep rotors should be fine.

I would think the jeep set up is reliable, I have not heard to many complaints from jeep owners. The only reason I did it is because I am going from a slant to a 440. You will need 15" rims, the 14's just hit the caliper, maybe an aftermarket rim might work in 14, not sure.

Look at the thread I did. the e brake has shoes in the center of the rotor and the cable goes to a lever on the back. I just used 95 cables and swedged a new intermediate cable to length.

Why so big? The rears do half the work of the front. I think it is a 60/40 ratio, not 100% on that though.
looks like the rear rotors are 11.21"

just looking at what others have/ why/ and what they used to get there. Ive found a few things i wouldn't mind trying. The hesitation is that it will be more of a race oriented setup. I would love to make my car a race car but i also like the fact i can still get in and drive the car anytime. I was hoping to get the opinions of some of the autocrossers and road racers to see what they run and if in fact it would be worth it or if just the jeep brakes would be more than enough for any situation.

MuuMuu What brakes are you running? And i may not be competitive with my car but i would like to add some more braking power and i would like to autocross just for fun. plus if i run larger wheels it will fill up the wheel better.

Theres nothing like an old mopar showing some new world skills. haha.

Sorry about that. I'm running the Dr Diff kits. Cass is a stand up guy. Fronts are 13" rotors with a Brembo-like caliper (I believe it uses the same pads as a 2nd Gen Viper). The rears are Cobra mustang calipers with 11.7" rotors. I still have tapered bearings fitted in my rear end. I'm not a huge fan of Green Bearings. Next time around, I'll probably get slotted or just plain faced rotors.

http://www.doctordiff.com/brembo-style-13-front-disc-brake-kit.html
http://www.doctordiff.com/rear-disc-brake-kit-11.7-rotor.html

Here's how they look on my car:

Attachments

• Wheel Test Fit.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 218
  • Suspension Completed 2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 214
  • Wheel Test Fit Rear.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Car 1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Lowered wheel on Dart.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 235
Sorry about that. I'm running the Dr Diff kits. Cass is a stand up guy. Fronts are 13" rotors with a Brembo-like caliper (I believe it uses the same pads as a 2nd Gen Viper). The rears are Cobra mustang calipers with 11.7" rotors. I still have tapered bearings fitted in my rear end. I'm not a huge fan of Green Bearings. Next time around, I'll probably get slotted or just plain faced rotors.

http://www.doctordiff.com/brembo-style-13-front-disc-brake-kit.html
http://www.doctordiff.com/rear-disc-brake-kit-11.7-rotor.html

Here's how they look on my car:

i like that. What wheels are those? what don't you like about the green bearings? if you don't mind my asking. what hubs are you running up front?

i like that. What wheels are those? what don't you like about the green bearings? if you don't mind my asking. what hubs are you running up front?

Wheels can be found in this thread (http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=304345). They're from M/T. I like the tapered bearing more as they're designed to take more side loads. Green bearings are roller bearings, I believe, which means they can only take loads in a radial direction. The front hubs come with the brake kit. It's an aluminum hub that utilizes a 73+ disc brake spindle.

-
Back