4 Wheel Disc Oversize Opinions

-
Use the dr diff kit for the rear! Waaaay better setup than a lot of other kits out there.

Wheels can be found in this thread (http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=304345). They're from M/T. I like the tapered bearing more as they're designed to take more side loads. Green bearings are roller bearings, I believe, which means they can only take loads in a radial direction. The front hubs come with the brake kit. It's an aluminum hub that utilizes a 73+ disc brake spindle.

more and more interesting learning on this end! really loving the wheels and brakes. Those front calipers are four pistons right? and i guess ill have to research more into what the difference is between the tapered and green bearings in terms of sideloading and rotational balance. i guess it would make a difference which direction the taper is facing as to the strength on sideloading. However if i remember correctly the "green" roller style bearings have machined lips with minimal space for the rollers to twist so they should be stronger regradless.

Much research is going to begin soon.....

I stared this thread to determine a direction to go in. Eventually i'd like to make the car as competitive as possible for various events. However i am unsure if i want to waste money and just do the basic upgrade or go all out from the start. So what i have so far in terms of ideas are as follows.

Front:
Wilwood Brake Hub
Unless Dr. Diff could supply a set of his from the 13 inch brake kit.....
14 inch wilwood rotors with a matched offset hat
09-14 CTS-V 6 Piston calipers
PFC carbon metallic pads

Rear: This is where i'll be braking new ground.
Megan Racing 13 inch 240SX rotors
CTS-v 4 Piston calipers (Provide Main Braking)
240SX standard calipers (Emergency Brake/ Racing)
Custom 8 3/4 Caliper Brackets
Hydraulic E-Brake

Most of this will be one off and i'll make sure to document what it entails as i go. This will probably be all at the same time i install my Hotchkis TVS kit. I'm getting goosebumps from the excitement of it all.

more and more interesting learning on this end! really loving the wheels and brakes. Those front calipers are four pistons right? and i guess ill have to research more into what the difference is between the tapered and green bearings in terms of sideloading and rotational balance. i guess it would make a difference which direction the taper is facing as to the strength on sideloading. However if i remember correctly the "green" roller style bearings have machined lips with minimal space for the rollers to twist so they should be stronger regradless.

Much research is going to begin soon.....

I stared this thread to determine a direction to go in. Eventually i'd like to make the car as competitive as possible for various events. However i am unsure if i want to waste money and just do the basic upgrade or go all out from the start. So what i have so far in terms of ideas are as follows.

Front:
Wilwood Brake Hub
Unless Dr. Diff could supply a set of his from the 13 inch brake kit.....
14 inch wilwood rotors with a matched offset hat
09-14 CTS-V 6 Piston calipers
PFC carbon metallic pads

Rear: This is where i'll be braking new ground.
Megan Racing 13 inch 240SX rotors
CTS-v 4 Piston calipers (Provide Main Braking)
240SX standard calipers (Emergency Brake/ Racing)
Custom 8 3/4 Caliper Brackets
Hydraulic E-Brake

Most of this will be one off and i'll make sure to document what it entails as i go. This will probably be all at the same time i install my Hotchkis TVS kit. I'm getting goosebumps from the excitement of it all.

See, I would have gone a similar path as you; however, I don't have the time, money, or resources to machine a caliper mount, right now. I believe Dr Diff will sell just the hub. I think he did it for someone else.

I have a friend who built a Holden Torana. He's got 8 piston AMG calipers in the front, 4 piston AMG calipers in the rear. 14" Mercedes rotors for the front with 13" rotors in the rear redrilled for Chevy bolt pattern. He's got an aftermarket 1 piston caliper for his E-brake. Pretty cool setup. He made his own mounts out of aluminum and lucky for him it was pretty easy to machine. He was able to do it with just a drill press, band saw, and some scrap aluminum.

But I think my setup will work for now. I don't need that much braking as I really am not making much power. A-bodies are light, you really don't need anything larger than a 13" of a rotor unless you really like the look. All of that is rotating mass which will slow down the car.

See, I would have gone a similar path as you; however, I don't have the time, money, or resources to machine a caliper mount, right now. I believe Dr Diff will sell just the hub. I think he did it for someone else.

I have a friend who built a Holden Torana. He's got 8 piston AMG calipers in the front, 4 piston AMG calipers in the rear. 14" Mercedes rotors for the front with 13" rotors in the rear redrilled for Chevy bolt pattern. He's got an aftermarket 1 piston caliper for his E-brake. Pretty cool setup. He made his own mounts out of aluminum and lucky for him it was pretty easy to machine. He was able to do it with just a drill press, band saw, and some scrap aluminum.

But I think my setup will work for now. I don't need that much braking as I really am not making much power. A-bodies are light, you really don't need anything larger than a 13" of a rotor unless you really like the look. All of that is rotating mass which will slow down the car.

I'll have to get ahold of Dr. Diff then. And yeah it'll take some time to mock up, measure, and fab. But i believe the end result will be a reliable, powerful brake combination. Plus it'll sure help once the 440 falls between the fenders. Plus i plan to have plenty of tire to let the brakes work.

I guess we will find out won't we?

I'll have to get ahold of Dr. Diff then. And yeah it'll take some time to mock up, measure, and fab. But i believe the end result will be a reliable, powerful brake combination. Plus it'll sure help once the 440 falls between the fenders. Plus i plan to have plenty of tire to let the brakes work.

I guess we will find out won't we?

Well, that's the thing. You're not going to be running skinny tall sidewall tires. You're going to be running skinny sidewalls wide tires with modern day compounds. So besides the extra cool factor I don't think the 14" rotors are necessary.

If you really want to be cool and have a lightweight 14" rotor that will perform just as well. Purchase Wilwood's 14" Ceramic brake rotors. They're only about $2000+ a side and probably way ~18lbs vs. 40+ lbs. :D

Well, that's the thing. You're not going to be running skinny tall sidewall tires. You're going to be running skinny sidewalls wide tires with modern day compounds. So besides the extra cool factor I don't think the 14" rotors are necessary.

If you really want to be cool and have a lightweight 14" rotor that will perform just as well. Purchase Wilwood's 14" Ceramic brake rotors. They're only about $2000+ a side and probably way ~18lbs vs. 40+ lbs. :D

That's a very good point. I could go with the expensive parts. But i enjoy trying to find economical solutions that most people can afford. im looking at about 500 bucks for the rear brakes, and about 800 on the front. That's about what most modern basic wilwood kits cost. Plus if fills out larger wheels as well as reduces excessive wear on stock level brake items. Reliability, wear, and cost are major factors to nearly everyone updating their mopar to modern safety standards.

That's a very good point. I could go with the expensive parts. But i enjoy trying to find economical solutions that most people can afford. im looking at about 500 bucks for the rear brakes, and about 800 on the front. That's about what most modern basic wilwood kits cost. Plus if fills out larger wheels as well as reduces excessive wear on stock level brake items. Reliability, wear, and cost are major factors to nearly everyone updating their mopar to modern safety standards.

Geeze, you must really be CL hunting? How much do the Cadillac calipers run for on CL? $400? $600? SRT8 calipers run for about that.

Geeze, you must really be CL hunting? How much do the Cadillac calipers run for on CL? $400? $600? SRT8 calipers run for about that.

i mostly hunt e-bay. Cts-v calipers i've found for 800 for all 4 corners. The rear rotors are megan racing 240sx oversize rotors. I'm just buying replacement rotors since they use the same bolt pattern and making my own brackets. But the cheaper i find the parts the better.

Theres nothing like an old mopar showing some new world skills. haha.

Wheels can be found in this thread (http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=304345). They're from M/T. I like the tapered bearing more as they're designed to take more side loads. Green bearings are roller bearings, I believe, which means they can only take loads in a radial direction. The front hubs come with the brake kit. It's an aluminum hub that utilizes a 73+ disc brake spindle.

Very true. On my dana, due the minimal backspacing they actually with torino ends.

Attachments

• 16378_10204960777488574_6317630999826702274_n.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 102
-
Back