40 year old wires

-

Jeannine

65 Valiant Wagon & Sedan
Reaction score
Hello,
I am not a super genius when it comes to the electrical system in my car, house yes, car no. The other day something wacky happened: the lights went haywire. When you turned the lights on the turn signals would not work, when you hit the breaks you also lost the flashing of the signals. I replaced the flasher fuse. Seemed to do the trick, but then for no reason the reverse lights would not work and when the car was sitting idol with her lights on the tail lights started to blink, along with the interior light.
Is my car possessed?
I checked all the visible lines and fuses, and everything looked in good working order.
I did find a short in the Fusible Link, could this be the source of my problems? Or would it be someplace else?
Where can one find a good diagram that I, a not so super genius, could understand in order to rewire the car. (65 Valiant Wagon)

Thanks!

Definitely a case of demonic possession in those 40 year old wires. :) Been there with my 66 Valiant over the past 28 years, and at times you just want to try an exorcism, or maybe a match or small hand grenade!! But if you follow the wiring diagrams and just use a logic tree mentality, you'll eventually get to the root of the problem(s). One place to check closely is the blocks where they join on the inside/outside of the firewall since these get dirty and corroded over the years and sometimes they get physically damaged but not visibly so unless you break them apart and do a close inspection of the connectors. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Sid

Sounds like a ground problem. Check the main body ground in the engine comparment. Pull the rear bulbs and check the grounds there as well.

Do you know how to do a "voltage drop" test? Find a KNOW GOOD ground (in this case you may need to go all the way to the battery) and put one lead of your volt meter on it. Put the other lead on the ground at the bulb (actually touch the cooper body if possible) with the bulb TURNED ON. If you have more than 0.2 volts showing you have a poor ground.

HTH

Brian Gordon

-
Back