400/451 strokers ????'s

-

rbdart

Reaction score
So I went to look at a 400/451 stroker,440 crank and rod version that a friend of mine had aquired,shortblk that valve had dropped in number 4 cylinder,got there and sure enough it not only dropped but broke off in the head turned the piston sideways in the blk along with busting out half the cyl wall with it...so I passed on it and 2wks later I find another one 150 miles away and its fairly complete but had a spun rod bearing on #3 rod but said shut down imediately but wouldnt turn over[was supposed to be free turning] and after talking to both guys it was a coincidence that both motors came out of dakota street/strip trks not that that has to do with anything but was strange..so my question is...are there some odd quirk to these combos or is it just some happy tweakster over revving or an oiling problem or something else...1st guy wanted 250 for shtblk and second guy wanted 975 for complete motor,alum int,906 heads etc...which I am only interested in the shortblks hopefully between the 2 will have 1 good blk and 15 pistons,2 cranks,15 rods..providing they all checked out good and we can come to terms on price...any suggestions as to what to offer or not on each or is it even worth jacking with? Thought about 100 for the 1st set up and maybe250 on 2nd setup...too much/too little? Thanks in advance

So I went to look at a 400/451 stroker,440 crank and rod version that a friend of mine had aquired,shortblk that valve had dropped in number 4 cylinder,got there and sure enough it not only dropped but broke off in the head turned the piston sideways in the blk along with busting out half the cyl wall with it...so I passed on it and 2wks later I find another one 150 miles away and its fairly complete but had a spun rod bearing on #3 rod but said shut down imediately but wouldnt turn over[was supposed to be free turning] and after talking to both guys it was a coincidence that both motors came out of dakota street/strip trks not that that has to do with anything but was strange..so my question is...are there some odd quirk to these combos or is it just some happy tweakster over revving or an oiling problem or something else...1st guy wanted 250 for shtblk and second guy wanted 975 for complete motor,alum int,906 heads etc...which I am only interested in the shortblks hopefully between the 2 will have 1 good blk and 15 pistons,2 cranks,15 rods..providing they all checked out good and we can come to terms on price...any suggestions as to what to offer or not on each or is it even worth jacking with? Thought about 100 for the 1st set up and maybe250 on 2nd setup...too much/too little? Thanks in advance

not to be a jerk here but why buy two hurt engines and try to make them into 1 good one. for the hastle you could start from scratch. a rotating assembly is less then $2k now.

not to be a jerk here but why buy two hurt engines and try to make them into 1 good one. for the hastle you could start from scratch. a rotating assembly is less then $2k now.
X2,,, but then again sounds like a deal to;If I were in your shoes I would buy them build a 451 if that's what you want or bigger is not to much deference,and in my spare time and money rebuild them for back ups..because none of them run for ever!!so if you decide against them put up a #### so someone else can get them!?and by no means am I trying to steer you away from them or to them.just stating what I would do!!...hope this is a help...Artie

Dont think you are being a jerk by no means,I asked for input and you do have a point,just cant spend that kind of coin right now and may be able to trade most of it out,that is after dismantling shtblks and making sure remaining parts are good and useable,both had je .030 forged pistons didnt chk numbers yet but appeared to be same,both have ly rods and std stroke 440 forged cranks..pistons look like about 40-50k in hole[guessing]with valve reliefs...the more I think about traveling,dismantling and having everything chkd out and redone,turning,balancing etc the more I think about scraping the idea...

Dont think you are being a jerk by no means,I asked for input and you do have a point,just cant spend that kind of coin right now and may be able to trade most of it out,that is after dismantling shtblks and making sure remaining parts are good and useable,both had je .030 forged pistons didnt chk numbers yet but appeared to be same,both have ly rods and std stroke 440 forged cranks..pistons look like about 40-50k in hole[guessing]with valve reliefs...the more I think about traveling,dismantling and having everything chkd out and redone,turning,balancing etc the more I think about scraping the idea...

i see 400 cores for 200-400 all the time on craigslist. then you just need a 440 crank and rods. then a set of pistons. could buy it part at a time this way and save lil bit of money.

X2,,, but then again sounds like a deal to;If I were in your shoes I would buy them build a 451 if that's what you want or bigger is not to much deference,and in my spare time and money rebuild them for back ups..because none of them run for ever!!so if you decide against them put up a #### so someone else can get them!?and by no means am I trying to steer you away from them or to them.just stating what I would do!!...hope this is a help...Artie
Thanks for the response..kinda on the fence here..if I do pass on them will def give you all the chance to make your own deal on them...prob need to stay with the 440 plan since I have everything already except some flycutting on my pistons...but I would like to oneday have a 451 set-up have seen several seem to run out pretty good and stay together that were properly done....I got til the weekend to make up my senile mind....whats their value in reality,may trade for them and pass them on...not looking to make money here or profit just wonder how much should invest in trading parts...

If the windowed block has 7 good piston/rod assemblies & the crank is good then it's a deal. One pistons from JE is probably $150 or less. Get & rebuild one rod, maybe $50. So you may be able to build a rotating assembly for $500 or less. Just a thought.

Ok guys heres the deal go to joplin mo craigslist,then go to autoparts and type in mopar 451 and you can see pics and guys phone#..nice guy ,name is Ed...451 stroker motor and parts,hughes cam,heads etc...the tunnel ram is already sold...I am proceeding with my 440 so this is of no use to me now...THANKS...KEN....ps..he will take 500 for shtblk,needs 1 rod replaced or resized/bearing/crank turned or polished..isnt locked up or junk like the 1st one I found.......good luck happy hunting

RBdart,I like the combination you got. My buddy has a low deck 400 stroker ,for a customer. The work (labor,extra costs),isn't worth it in your case. Did a healthy 408 small block LA. A lot of time,involved. Yours is SSSOOO close.

Yes sir you are soooo right...like I said I sometimes overthink ****...gotta stay on the path of rightiousness and then... hey I checked about buying a flycutting tool and do my pistons myself shaft and stop=38 bucs and each cutter head was 88 bucs ea [one head for each valve size] so a 2.14/1.81 + .030 on each cutter head sound about right for clearance to ya? and I was wrong on the thickness of the pistons there are just a tad over.400 thick and it was recomended not to go over .150 depth for valve reliefs...and best of all I can do this in my garage with an old head as a jig...should be enough clearance at .150 with the xe290s cam or not???what doya think?

-
Back