400 short block

-

tooslow

Reaction score
Hello,
My local machine shop has an assembled 400 short block that the customer no longer wants , No cam , forged flat top pistons , zero decked , Has a cast crank , align bored , cam bearings , aarp fasteners ,
Whats it worth ? He wants $2500 , too much , I am going to make him an offer
My plan was to build my 69 383 stroker but I waited to long to drop it off at the machine shop.
The 400 will get me going .
It will be going in a 68 Notchback Cuda

Hello,
My local machine shop has an assembled 400 short block that the customer no longer wants , No cam , forged flat top pistons , zero decked , Has a cast crank , align bored , cam bearings , aarp fasteners ,
Whats it worth ? He wants $2500 , too much , I am going to make him an offer
My plan was to build my 69 383 stroker but I waited to long to drop it off at the machine shop.
The 400 will get me going .
It will be going in a 68 Notchback Cuda

$2500 doesn't sound too far off in my opinion. $600 plus for pistons, all the machine work probably about $1000 worth in the block, core block, bearings, rings, rod bolts, resizing the rods etc. I'd offer him $1500 and see how badly he wants it out of his way.

If you're still moving forward with the machine work on the 383, get your price quote BEFORE making a $1500 offer on the 400.....

The price doesn't sound wrong that's for sure.

A 400 forged piston short block for 2500 and you want it for 1500? I have a complete rebuilt 400 with stock cast pistons, mild cam, DP4B intake, and 906 heads and I won't take a penny less than 3500. You must want the farkin thing for nuthin. I hope he tells you to get bumped and lets it sit there and rot away. I would. And I probably will.

I think $1500.00 would be a insult to your machinest. I would be embarrassed to offer that little on a rebuilt short block. Kim

-
Back