400 vs 440 (stock pretty much)

-

magnumminded

Reaction score
Posted a thread on the FBBO forum and haven't gotten much response. Just curious if there is much difference in say a 73 440 vs a 74 400 4bbl motor? This a no budget (Joe Mudd) project and wondering if the performance will be the same if I keep stock internals and HP Manifolds? I might go headers but, not sure. Thanks guys. I want something to smoke the tires when I floor it and that's about it. PS I already have the 400 in storage.

Posted a thread on the FBBO forum and haven't gotten much response. Just curious if there is much difference in say a 73 440 vs a 74 400 4bbl motor? This a no budget (Joe Mudd) project and wondering if the performance will be the same if I keep stock internals and HP Manifolds? I might go headers but, not sure. Thanks guys. I want something to smoke the tires when I floor it and that's about it. PS I already have the 400 in storage.

It's probably pretty close to a draw. This because the stock highest horse 73 440 was only 25HP more than the highest horse 74 400 (cam lift being the driver). Both were low compression and the 440 piston was way down the hole even further than the 400. Both will respond to some low buck upgrades like cam, carb and intake but If had to pick one in stock trim I'd pick the 400. JMO.

Given the choice, always go for cubic inches, UNLESS you think there will be money in the future for a stroker rotating assembly. In that case go for the 400.

-
Back